Where to put piggies?

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The four new sows arrived late last week! They are some rather goofy-looking girls, it's great. Especially the big grumpy Peruvian, who I named Cherry. I'll probably be giving haircuts today now that they're settled in, we've doubtless got a few tangles going on.

They spent one night in a travel cage, but since then they've been hanging out in a big playpen. They can continue to stay in the playpen for now if that's what's best, but I'm debating where to put them and could use opinions.

To explain the situation for those unfamiliar: Me and the piggies are moving! I am going to have more space to dedicate to the piggies and their runs soon. I am going back to college and moving in with family until I graduate. To facilitate this, we are building a new room onto my mother's house / converting most of the garage. We're doing this the anarchist way and not bothering with tedious permits or the HOA (as is often done here in the Wild West) so we're hoping to have the construction done within 4 to 8 weeks.

My boyfriend does light carpentry and I'm going to work with him to build me some furniture, including a new and improved piggy palace. It's going to be a super fun project to do together! 🤩

So I accepted these sows on the premise that they had nowhere else to go and I am soon enough going to be able to construct runs that are larger in all dimensions. Right now I have three main C&C runs, they are 10 grids x 2 grids (27 square feet) and contain 9 piggies each. The new runs are going to be the equivalent of 12 grids long and probably around 2.5 to 3 grids deep (42 to 49 square feet). And there will be four runs instead of three.

The four sows were originally two pairs - a couple of buddies and a mother-daughter duo. They are presently getting along well enough, but I'm not picking up on any particularly special bonds between the pairs, so I wouldn't hesitate to split them back up and put them in two different herds if it made sense to do so.

I am wondering if it would be permissible to plunk these girls into my already-full runs for this limited time period so they can go ahead and bond with their permanent herds. 11 pigs in a 10×2 grid is obviously a crowd, and of course I'd have to amp up the cleaning schedule to keep things fresh. 😛

Would I be asking for herd dynamic trouble though? My herds are thankfully harmonious with stable hierarchies. The only time we have squabbling is when someone is having a strong season and being a nuisance. To be honest, they mostly tend to occupy only their favorite two-thirds of their space, and I have to lure them to the other end with hay or new objects. Often there are several pigs happily squished into the small lofts together and several more inside the hay piles. I am minimalistic about hideys, as I think it's better to preserve room for zoomies.

So, my intuition is that cage size guidelines can be a bit more flexible once you've reached a certain scale. (I wouldn't dream of overpacking pigs into a more typical-sized cage for more than a brief period. And I'd never ever try it with boars!) But I want to know if anyone thinks it would be inhumane or risky for herd stability to move them in now. Like I said, they can always stay in the playpen for a few weeks, that's fine. But then they'd be waiting a while to enjoy the myriad benefits of being in a busy herd. Neither situation being quite ideal, what would be best for them?

I'm glad they're here with me though, it sounds like they were having a pretty rough and tumble life before this. 😥 They have been shuffled around so much that all background information on them has been lost, except for the birth date of the adolescent daughter pig. No clue on the ages or health history of the other three.

Attachments

• 20220327_090518.webp
    20220327_090518.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220327_090240.webp
    20220327_090240.webp
    38 KB · Views: 11
Your new ideas for your piggies sound amazing - they will be very spoilt indeed!

However I would definitely not recommend adding 2 more guinea pigs to a 10 x 2 that already contains 9 piggies in an established herd (I hope I understood that correctly).
Having 9 pigs in the space they are currently in is already bordering on being crowded, and 2 new sows with their own personalities, etc could make for a very stressful situation. If you plan to bond everybody long term and create larger herds that incorporate your new girls I think it would be better to wait until you have a proper sized space to accommodate them.
Not to mention that bonding will need to be done in a neutral area, and given the herd sizes this may take time. It sounds like it would be easier to do this once you are at your new place where you will have the additional space and it won't 'belong' to anyone yet.

You may find this link helpful in deciding what to do moving forwards:
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Your new ideas for your piggies sound amazing - they will be very spoilt indeed!

However I would definitely not recommend adding 2 more guinea pigs to a 10 x 2 that already contains 9 piggies in an established herd (I hope I understood that correctly).
Having 9 pigs in the space they are currently in is already bordering on being crowded, and 2 new sows with their own personalities, etc could make for a very stressful situation. If you plan to bond everybody long term and create larger herds that incorporate your new girls I think it would be better to wait until you have a proper sized space to accommodate them.
Not to mention that bonding will need to be done in a neutral area, and given the herd sizes this may take time. It sounds like it would be easier to do this once you are at your new place where you will have the additional space and it won't 'belong' to anyone yet.

You may find this link helpful in deciding what to do moving forwards:
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Thank you, I am thinking you are right. They should be okay biding their time separately for a while.

Additionally, since I posted this I started tackling the grooming situation and found some mites on the mama pig, yuck. 😨 I called the vet already to schedule her and her daughter - I haven't looked yet but I'm sure she has them too. So they're certainly not hopping into the same space as my other pigs anytime soon.

So first order of business was shearing the thick, luxurious locks off this piggy and then going over her whole body with a lice comb. She had so much fur that lice-combing her would otherwise be an impossible task. I bet she's probably had them her whole life from what a foothold they had. After I do the same to the daughter, I've got some leftover Selamectin so I'll start them on their first round of that while we wait to go to the vet and get more.

With any luck the other two might be without the mites. They're in much better body condition. I'll seperate them from the crittery pigs undergoing treatment if that's the case and just keep an eye on them.

Attachments

• 20220329_144941.webp
    20220329_144941.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220329_161625.webp
    20220329_161625.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
Interestingly, only the mama pig had active mites. I checked the other three with extreme thoroughness under a bright light, combing through every bit of skin and fur, and didn't find a single mite or any other telltale signs of mites, like broken skin or hair loss. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back