Where to put piggie poop and soiled pee pads until I can wash them?

deanaimee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I love reading all these helpful posts!
Getting my two piggies tomorrow and I have a couple questions :)
Where do you keep your soiled pee pads between wash loads? Or do you just wash them as you change them out? How often do you change the small pee pads?
I plan on changing the 2x5 liner weekly, of course, or sooner.
Also, do you just put your piggie poop in the garbage or do you flush it down the toilet?
So many questions. Haha!
Thanks so much!

I put poo in a separate bin. When mine were indoors, they’d each have 3 bath mats on top of the liner. I sometimes kept them (in a horse wash bag) until I changed the liner. And sometimes washed them after changing two lots. I changed the bath liners/washable puppy pads every 2-3 days, depending on how soiled they were. I sometimes rotated them within the cage so the ones under the hides would go under their hay trays. You can work out what works best for you once they’ve been there a couple of weeks.

Just remember that you need to give them a week to settle in when they come home.

I put poo in a separate bin. When mine were indoors, they’d each have 3 bath mats on top of the liner. I sometimes kept them (in a horse wash bag) until I changed the liner. And sometimes washed them after changing two lots. I changed the bath liners/washable puppy pads every 2-3 days, depending on how soiled they were. I sometimes rotated them within the cage so the ones under the hides would go under their hay trays. You can work out what works best for you once they’ve been there a couple of weeks.

Just remember that you need to give them a week to settle in when they come home.
Thanks so much for the reply. We will definitely give them time to settle in when they come to our home. Great tip.
when you say you have a separate bin, do you mean you have an extra one in the house? Do you have a trash bag in it that you change? Maybe I should get a small one with a lid and plastic bag that we take outside every few days?

We just have a Piggie laundry box that lives near the washing machine and I pop bits in there until it’s ready to wash, with a 2X5 liner you will likely find you will have more than one load a week… although I do think your US washing machines tend to be bigger than our British ones!

I just have a separate dustbin bag. My four now live outside so are on disposable bedding. So I use that to collect poo and fill it up (ready for bin day sometimes) when I do the full clean. When they were inside, I put the poop in the main bin.

I have a laundry bag in the greenhouse where all soiled fleece bedding is stored until I have a full wash load. Small pee pads are changed when damp, mostly daily. The large cage size fleece is changed every 4 or 5 days, sometimes in the summer if the piggies get to go in the garden (weather permitting) I can get away with once a week.
Poops and used hay makes wonderful compost for the veg patch.

We just have a Piggie laundry box that lives near the washing machine and I pop bits in there until it’s ready to wash, with a 2X5 liner you will likely find you will have more than one load a week… although I do think your US washing machines tend to be bigger than our British ones!
Good thinking! I’ll get a special plastic bin to keep in the laundry room. Thanks!
Ours is super capacity, or something like that. I am sure I’ll do at least two loads a week, though.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
I have a laundry bag in the greenhouse where all soiled fleece bedding is stored until I have a full wash load. Small pee pads are changed when damp, mostly daily. The large cage size fleece is changed every 4 or 5 days, sometimes in the summer if the piggies get to go in the garden (weather permitting) I can get away with once a week.
Poops and used hay makes wonderful compost for the veg patch.
Thank you! How many piggies do you have?
Is your laundry bag fabric or is it a like a moisture resistant material.
good idea for the garden. I’ll do that!

I have 5 boars, one lives in a divided part of a cage with another pair. The bag I use as wash bag is a breathable fabric but a wipeable woven finish, it a very large bag for life supermarket type carrier. Brilliant for the piggy washing as it hangs by the handles on a hook and saves me too much bending!

My piggies live indoors on fleece and bath mats. I have a big bag from Home Bargains (“I only came in for one thing”) that I keep in the piggy room. I put dirty pee pads, cosies and fleece etc in there until there’s enough for a washing machine load. I do their laundry inside a horse wash bag.

I hang a swing bin liner on the end of one of their cages (c & c) into which I empty their hay trays and any poop I’ve swept up. When it’s full it goes out to the dustbin.

I dont use cage liners but the fleece cuddle cups and hides get shaken well into the council garden waste bin to remove any hay and poops and then straight into a horse wash bag which goes into the machine once its full. Obviously during the summer its essential to keep it zipped up so no flies can get into it

Back