Where To Get New Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire74

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I would like to get some guinea pigs for my daughters birthday. I don't want to get them from a 'superstore' like pets at home. The rescue centres around me don't have any pairs currently either. Can anyone recommend how to find a breeder? I'm in Manchester. Thanks in advance.

:D Have you decided whether to get boys or girls? Two boys, 9 times out of 10, will start fighting as they mature, resulting in having to be separated. Have you done a lot of research (Perhaps on here) to find out what goes into keeping piggies well? Got all their equipment? Cage (hopefully a C and C ) bedding, hay, food, water bottle, bowl. Have you checked that your Vet deals with Exotics? I should do all that first and maybe your nearest rescue will have a pair in by the time you are ready. :tu:

Hi and welcome!

Please note that we are a rescue friendly forum and do explicitly not support intentional breeding.
You can find a list of recommended good standard rescues on the top bar where we can guarantee that any guinea pigs are healthy, not pregnant, carefully bonded and - if rehomed to guinea pig newbies - used to being handled. Our forum recommendations re. housing and safety comply with or surpass minimal RSCPA recommendations, which are also the basis for adoption criteria.
if you are at the southern end of Manchester, The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove/Stoke-on-Trent is your closest good rescue and if you are to the north, Milhaven Guinea Pig Rescue and Barnsley Animal Charity are hopefully within your reach.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

You may also find these threads here helpful while doing your research before committing to buying guinea pigs. We have got lots more information at the top of our various Care sections, which you may find interesting in settling in any new guinea pigs and making sure that the interest is kept past the first few weeks of novelty value.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/children-and-guinea-pigs-a-guide-for-parents.124784/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...iate-interaction-and-responsibilities.124775/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

Hello and welcome to the forum! As this is a forum that actively encourages people to get their piggies from rescue centres, I will wholeheartedly advise you to go down that route. You can also find piggies looking for homes on the Rehoming section of the forum. Be a bit patient, check on rescue centre websites regularly and you will soon come across some suitable candidates! Personally I have not had any trouble with any boy pairings that I have fostered, but be aware that 2 boys do need plenty of room and two of everything so they have their own personal space. Good luck in your search and keep us updated on progress. :tu:

:wel: to the forum . I agree with you that pet shops aren't the ideal to get guinea pigs from.

Have you enquired at the Potteries?

http://www.thepotteriesguineapigrescue.co.uk/

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/the-potteries-guinea-pig-rescue.128720/

The Potteries is based in Kidsgrove. If you feel it is too far to drive there , maybe you could go by train?

As above posters have said, I can't recommend any breeders.

My main reason for recommending rescuing your guinea pigs is that rescues ensure you get a bonded pair. I have seen too many posts on this forum of people who have bought guinea pigs ( from shops and breeders ) and the guinea pigs have not got on.

I would also like to say that, although I am strongly pro rescue - you will be welcome on this forum - wherever you get your guinea pigs from.

Hello and welcome. You can almost always find happily bonded pairs of piggies in local guinea pig rescues. That way you get health checked piggies who are used to humans. And they will help you with set up, and support you afterwards if you have queries or issues. All 4 of my current piggies come from rescues. I can't recommend the Potteries GPR highly enough. Helen is lovely and knows everything you could wish to know about piggies. Look forward to seeing pics of your piggies on the forum x

Hello and welcome to the forum! Good luck in finding your perfect pigs :)

:wel: to the forum! :)

I too, would highly recommend a rescue. And to be honest, a lot of breeders are just as bad as pet shops, if not worse.

Remember to do a bit of research first, of course. Good luck finding the right rescue and pair of piggies. :)

Thank you everyone! What a friendly bunch you are. Rescue it is! I want 2 girls as they are going to be indoor piggies and I've read boys are a bit smellier? We have foxes in our garden so they can't go out without us. I didn't want to get them from pets at home as the cage they recommend seems tiny! We will get as big as we can possibly fit in, and a run for daytime excercise. Thanks for the advice. Claire

I don't know about the smell part, I have 10, 3 sows and 7 boars, the only ones I really notice a smell from are the boars that are around 13 months old (one of them is about that age). Unless my nose has just gotten used to the smell lol.

... and I've never regretted getting my boar. I have a neutered boar and 2 sows. Have a chat to the rescue(s) @Claire74 -they'll help you come to the right decision.

:D Have you decided whether to get boys or girls? Two boys, 9 times out of 10, will start fighting as they mature, resulting in having to be separated.

I thought that generally two boars will make it together and it's more unlucky if they don't?

glad you have decided to use a rescue :)

i'm in manchester too :tu: we're very lucky to have such a great vets here - ashleigh vets whalley range. you won't get better care for your piggies should they get ill :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back