Where To Buy Guinea Pigs From Near Epsom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidA

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

We are hoping to give our young daughter (9) two piggies in the next month or so. I think its wonderful that this forum recommends adoption but I would like to obtain some young piggies so that my daughter can watch them grow up. Do rescue centres often have young piggies for adoption?

I have been recommended to go to Pets at Home but perhaps folk here may disagree.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a rescue centre or breeder near Epsom, Surrey, where we can obtain some young animals, with confidence that they will be ok, please?

Best regards

David

Hi David, and welcome to our forum :)

We are a rescue friendly forum, and will never recommend a person getting piggies from a breeder. Rescues have more than enough piggies in to adopt from. You are in luck to have 3 recommended rescues within reasonable travelling difference: Bobtails Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue, ARC Twickenham, and Furry Friends Animal Rescue.
A good rescue will always put their piggies through a quarantine process, check for pregnancy, offer support in case of troubles, a home check to ensure a good environment and ensure that your guineas are in a stable relationship before rehoming.
Here is our recommended rescue map so that you can see whereabouts they are for yourself: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=209994852075231951564.0004b8fd9391b4257d8eb&msa=0&dg=feature

Can I be honest with you? We have some guinea pigs that we have had from 8 weeks old (the youngest they can legally be sold to you) and some which were rescue whose ages are not exactly known but are older and were full adult weight.

I'm afraid that 3 months after having the ones which we got as youngsters, they were already almost at adult weight (and not through over feeding). Even before then, you can't really see much physical development. Yes they grow a bit bigger but that's it really.

A lot of the physical development I think (from photos I've seen on here of babies) happens within the first 8 weeks of life.

On what I've just said, those with lots more piggies experience may disagree with me and I'm sure they will be able to notice subtle changes but I'm guessing you are like we were and don't have a lot of previous experience with young small animals (other than children - ours were also bought as pets for our children - 9 year old and 6 year old). If you're not really experienced all you are likely to notice is them get a little bit bigger (and not much at that - ours started around 450g if I remember rightly and adult weight is around 900g to 1.2kg).

The best (better than physical growth) thing to watch them develop is their relationship with you as their owner and your children can do that with your help as supervision. When they come to you, wherever they come from and however old they are, they will be nervous. You will get the joy of bringing them out of their shells. I still get a thrill now (as do my children) when it is veggie feeding time - ours have learnt roughly what time of day that happens and start squeaking their heads off if we come near around that time or rustle a bag in the kitchen. We've also got a pair who have progressed from extremely shy to staying right by the feeding bowl when I put my hand in and fill it.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Pets at Home to get pigs from because I've heard so many stories of them getting the sexing wrong and people ending up with pregnant guinea pigs (because a girl has been in with boys or vice versa). Whilst it might sound nice to accidentally end up with some babies this way, I think the reality is often different and the care needed for them could be intensive.

Wherever you decide to get them from though, members on here will be here for you for any questions you may have as you care for them. If to find some piggies somewhere and want to check on here whether it sounds like a safe place to be getting them from or not I'm sure you'll get plenty of views!

The rescues recommended by @piggyfan are by far the safest place to get healthy and well bonded piggies from that you should not have any bad surprises from. We can guarantee for all three of them.
You can also find the contact details via our rescue locator on the top bar: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

We can certainly not recommend p@h; our pregnancy section gets a steady influx and our behaviour section regualrly deals with teenage boar fall-outs due to people buying for looks and not character compatibility. :(
Most good breeders are very careful as to who their piggies go to, so most places that are eager to sell are simply interested in the money, so you are taking your chances.

I have took on babies and adults .The babies grow very quickly and aren't little for long.My older girls still act like they did when babies.Rescues do have babies due to pregnant girls coming in.My kids loved the oldest ones and the babies equally and an older one would be easier to handle if from a good shelter

I have 3 little ones and their mum (who is just over a year old) and the only difference was the size. If you're getting them for young children it's better to get slightly older ones who will have already had some handling and being bigger are easier for children to hold!

There is also another advantage to getting rescue piggies as a family - they may not be babies, but you will be paired up with piggies that are used to being handled and that can be petted straight away. Any good rescue will not rehome unsuitable piggies into a newbie home.

My 7 month old is almost the same size as my 3 year old piggie, as others have said, they are only babies for a matter of weeks.

I wondn't touch pets at home. Please try and rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back