Where can I get a decent hutch from?

lialooszoo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m rescuing a guinea pig today and I’m searching for a decent hutch but don’t know where to look other than pets at home and Amazon. Amazon do sell good hutches but the only thing is if you get one from there and it is delivered in a bad condition it costs a lot of money to return it. Pets at home hutches are brill but they are very expensive and I can’t afford it right now. The best ones are 130 to 120 pounds! I would really appreciate the advise! Thanks again
Lia.

A good hutch is expensive - I would be expecting to pay in excess of £100 for any hutch with the more you spend, the better quality the hutch is. Pets at Home hutches are about average price but I found to be pretty bad quality long term.

Home & Roost is another place to buy a hutch from (Chartwell hutches are well recommended) but are in excess of £100.

I have also used therabbithutuchcompany.co.uk. I bought a really lovely 6ft hutch from them but it was just under £200. They do have some which are cheaper but they are also smaller, so it depends on what your long term plans are. If this piggy is getting a friend (you dont say what sex piggy is), then you may need a larger one to accommodate that

Last edited:
I bought a Pets at Home hutch when I first got my piggies and they were outside in it. I had a cover for it but it only lasted about 18 months before it was so rotten I had to replace it. I bought a better quality one for around £250 and it was outside for about 2-3 years before I moved house and put it in the garage. The hutch is almost like new after about 4 years of use. Are you going to keep your piggies outside?

I bought a Pets at Home hutch when I first got my piggies and they were outside in it. I had a cover for it but it only lasted about 18 months before it was so rotten I had to replace it. I bought a better quality one for around £250 and it was outside for about 2-3 years before I moved house and put it in the garage. The hutch is almost like new after about 4 years of use. Are you going to keep your piggies outside?
A good hutch is expensive - I would be expecting to pay in excess of £100 for any hutch with the more you spend, the better quality the hutch is. Pets at Home hutches are about average price but I found to be pretty bad quality long term.

Home & Roost is another place to buy a hutch from (Chartwell hutches are well recommended) but are in excess of £100.

I have also used therabbithutuchcompany.co.uk. I bought a really lovely 6ft hutch from them but it was just under £200. They do have some which are cheaper but they are also smaller, so it depends on what your long term plans are. If this piggy is getting a friend (you dont say what sex piggy is), then you may need a larger one to accommodate that
Thank you for the great website recommendations. I’ve rescued a male guinea pig he’s going to live with my other male gp Bumble x

Thank you for the great website recommendations. I’ve rescued a male guinea pig he’s going to live with my other male gp Bumble x

I hope the bonding goes well.
In that case you are going to need a 6ft hutch which is going to make is slightly more expensive due to size

I have purchased many hutches from pets at home and I’ve noticed that they don’t last very long at all not mine at least anyway. They sell beautiful hutches it’s just a shame they don’t last long. I currently have the hideaway bluebell hutch and the foxglove hutch from pets at home. The hutch is going to go inside a shed that is insulated and ventilated x

I hope the bonding goes well.
In that case you are going to need a 6ft hutch which is going to make is slightly more expensive due to size
Thank you! I hope the bonding goes well, Kenneth and Bumble have very similar temperaments so I’m crossing my fingers. Yes I think you’re right- thanks again x

I have purchased many hutches from pets at home and I’ve noticed that they don’t last very long at all not mine at least anyway. They sell beautiful hutches it’s just a shame they don’t last long. I currently have the hideaway bluebell hutch and the foxglove hutch from pets at home. The hutch is going to go inside a shed that is insulated and ventilated x

it should fare better being in a shed. My bluebell was in a shed and was absolutely fine as it wasn’t exposed to weather. It was then moved outside and no longer used for the Guineas and instead used as a run shelter for rabbits and has only been outside for a year - already looking worse for wear despite having covers on it. It is such a nice looking hutch though!

it should fare better being in a shed. My bluebell was in a shed and was absolutely fine as it wasn’t exposed to weather. It was then moved outside and no longer used for the Guineas and instead used as a run shelter for rabbits and has only been outside for a year - already looking worse for wear despite having covers on it. It is such a nice looking hutch though!
They are beautiful hutches. For example in both hutches the floor bases have already bowed and I haven’t even had them for very long!

have you lined them?
although the rabbits are in my wooden based hutches (the piggies are in a hutch with metal pull out trays so they can’t bow or rot) and they are litter trained so it’s less of a concern but I have correx lined mine which means they are much more protected

Thank you! The correx trays are such a good shout! I’ll have a look into that, brilliant idea! X

have you lined them?
although the rabbits are in my wooden based hutches (the piggies are in a hutch with metal pull out trays so they can’t bow or rot) and they are litter trained so it’s less of a concern but I have correx lined mine which means they are much more protected
Thank you! The correx trays are such a good shout! I’ll have a look into that, brilliant idea! X

Back