When will he ever stop growing?! 😄

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
My 14 week old piggy, Zorro, has been growing speeTdily and has gained a healthy amount of weight as the weeks go by. I just wondered when a piggy like Zorro will stop growing.

Normally piggies reach their full adult weight between 12-18 months, our boys are coming up to 18 months and are still gaining a little bit of weight most weeks although it has defiantly slowed down since they hit one. He will still have a fair bit of growing to do! I do find a lot of people are surprised by the size of our boys thinking guineapigs are much smaller.

Our 4-month-old boy Keith is now bigger than our 5-year-old Gibson.... His backside is ENORMOUS!

I think it must be a 'big' year for piggies..! lol!

Our 4-month-old boy Keith is now bigger than our 5-year-old Gibson.... His backside is ENORMOUS!

I think it must be a 'big' year for piggies..! lol!
Pleeeease can we have a Keith picture? I promise I will steady myself for the cuteness overload 😁

Hi,
My 14 week old piggy, Zorro, has been growing speeTdily and has gained a healthy amount of weight as the weeks go by. I just wondered when a piggy like Zorro will stop growing.

Your boy is still in the initial fast growth phase, which lasts around 4-6 months; from then on in until about 12-18 months growth happens increasingly in spurts. Adulthood is reached at around 15 months.
Because the individual weight range varies widely in guinea pigs, the growth rate and phases also vary massively. Youngsters in optimal condition will reach a certain percentage of their ideal adult weight/size sooner than piggies with a smaller birth weight and from less optimatl conditions, who take longer to reach that point. it is roughly around three quarters of the optimal adult weight/size.

Please take the time to read these two information guides below, which you should find highly interesting because a healthy diet and a weight/size ratio can really push the average healthy life span from the lower end to the upper and beyond and can 1-2 years to a life. We don't have any control over what our piggies ultimately die from and certainly no control over any genetic time bombs, but we do have a chance to optimise the time we have got with our piggies. Not by being super duper owner but simply by being good owners and by concentrating on the quality of what we are doing and avoiding to fall into the trap of overdoing everything.
The guides deal with the very practical details but they also show you how it all connects and where you can really make a difference - and why. Here are the links:
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

These two guides are part of our much wider New Owners guide collection, which is currently one of the most comprehensive and helpful around. You may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need. Many of the guides you get different things out of when reading them at different levels of experience because things you have noticed or experienced will fall into place.
Here is the access link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

You can access our full and even wider information resource via the Guides shortcut on the top bar where it is neatly laid out in thematic order.

Sorry Natalie Clancy we seem to have hijacked your thread! But I always remember Keith because he looked just like an Easter Chick when he was tiny. He's so different now!

Now worries, I got the answer to my question that started this thread in the first place. I enjoyed seeing the piggy photos!

Back