When To Use Heat Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob and bob

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We adopted an unwanted pair a few weeks ago, they had been living outside and I was assured this was fine for them, we have however now out their hutch in a shed as it's starting to get colder.
At what temperature do you use snugglesafe? I have purchased 2 but don't want to be too eager so as they are not appreciated when it gets really really chilly?

It's a difficult question, as if you search for an exact temp, you wont find one. However I keep a thermometer on my hutches as an indication. But my personal rule of thumb is, if it's cold for you, it is for them. Also a touch of there ears is a good one, and a stroke of their coat, you get a sense for when it's time. By having a thermometer I reckon anything from 10 degrees C is a limit for me to get snugglesafes out. I also safeguard around fog as the air gets damp and that's a condition which I think can get overlooked. I protect against that and frost by multi layers, the same as a human.

Boxes of hay, snuggle fleece sacks, even their favourite hang out of their wooden stick bridge gets a thick fleece over it and a snugglesafe inside. A hutch can get damp and cold in a garage as well, so a thick outer layer and hutch huggers make a difference. More diligent cleaning of hutch too, remove damp patches quickly and not forgetting, no veggies straight from the fridge.

If they get too warm, they will move away from their snugglesafes too!

Hope that helps.

I think @Mother Hubbard makes an excellent point. It's not just temperature - it's damp too (like fog or rain).
We live in Switzerland and I find I don't feel as cold here where it is minus 5 degrees, as I do in the UK when it is 4 - 5 degrees. Despite the UK being 10 degrees warmer it is the damp that makes me feel cold all the time. Here it is usually a very dry cold which somehow seems 'less' cold?

But it sounds like you know what you are doing, and having the hutch in a shed will help a lot as will using the snuggle safe pads.
Well done for offering a home to two very lucky piggies.

Like others I have caved over night this week as it has been so so cold overnight. If the sun shines my shed heats up well during the day to warm them through.

I agree with what has already been said.

I now have indoor piggies but when I had outdoor piggies (living in a shed) I would give them their snuggle safes when it was too cold for me to stand outside just wearing a jacket which was normally in frosty weather.

If we suddenly had milder nights, I would simply removed the snuggle safes.

Well done again for offering them a home x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back