• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

When to stop giving probiotics?

toodledoodler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! My 2 boars are (finally, it has been a bumpy ride) nearing the end of their antibiotic treatment - for how long after my piggies’ last antibiotics dose should I continue giving them probiotics? And how long after they stop taking antibiotics are they more susceptible to illness? They have URIs.

Hello! My 2 boars are (finally, it has been a bumpy ride) nearing the end of their antibiotic treatment - for how long after my piggies’ last antibiotics dose should I continue giving them probiotics? And how long after they stop taking antibiotics are they more susceptible to illness? They have URIs.
Hi
Antibotics work by building up gradually over several days for full effect by - usually - around day 5 of a course and then gradually wear off again over that number of days after the end of the course. For that reason, it is always better to give probiotics for another 5-7 days longer than the antibiotic, especially in the cases where the gut microbiome is affected.

However, if your boys don't have any digestive problems from the medication, then you can stop with the end of the treatment if you wish to.

Back