when to separate four boars

pawg

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first off I want to say thanks for all the great information on this forum, it's been really helpful. My question regards my four boars (a 2 year old and three 9 week old babies) who have been living together in a sort of L-shaped c and c cage that can be divided into two 2x5s. Currently, since they're so young I suppose, they all seem to be getting on alright - can't say my big boy is super friendly with them, they all scatter the second he approaches a hay pile or a box but at least they're not having confrontations about it or anything. He then will let them approach to eat hay with him, although won't share hideys with them. I don't have a lot of experience observing guinea pigs but my sense is I've got three at least somewhat dominant boars and one pretty relaxed one who seems to get on with everyone. Knowing I won't be able to keep them all together forever, I'm just wondering, should I bite the bullet and separate them into pairs now, or let them enjoy their big cage for another month or so, or leave them be until they start becoming more confrontational? I figure it would probably be more disruptive to them to do it later, but I do love seeing them enjoying having such a big cage to run around in. I think leaving them for a while would also give me a better sense of who's most likely to get on, although if it will decrease the chances that any of them will of course I don't want that.

:wel:

It is advised that they need to be separated by 16 weeks but it does need to be taken on an individual basis - some may be ok for a little longer, whereas others may not make it until 16 weeks harmoniously and need separating sooner. If things take a turn between them then it can happen quickly and there is always that risk of not being able to make pairs if there is a fall out - the outcome of a potential fall out could be that you end up with a functioning pair and two singles or at worst four single piggies.

The issue in your individual case is if you do indeed have three dominant boars, then you are likely to find you cannot make two pairs anyway. Two dominant boars will not get on long term, and any pairing consisting of two dominant boars, one of whom may not be willing to step back, will be destined to fail particularly once the babies do hit that 16 week mark and become teenagers

Hi and welcome

:agr:

Baby boar quartets seem to end up most commonly in a 2+1+1 formation once they hit teenage.

You can try and see which boys get on best with who in an attempt to create two pairs but in the end it all comes down to personal outlook and the dynamic between the boys. And there is nothing you can do about personality; so you may have to brace for the possibility that there could be fall-outs during the 10 months of teenage with their various ups and downs. Make sure that you have plenty of ideally flexible space.

Back