• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cryptillian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I hope it’s ok if I skip the usual care rundown since he’s terminal and I’ve done everything I can, I have been struggling so horribly with this because my grandma is also dying and one of our dogs has cancer as well.

Going to start by saying Pumba is 7 1/2 years old and had a massive bladder stone that was successfully removed late last year. Before all this he had never even been to the vet, he was so healthy. He had gotten bumblefoot after my last post due to constantly peeing himself and at the time having diarrhea. I actually cleared it up 4 times but it kept coming back, he gets epsom salt soaks daily with antibiotic ointment and petroleum jelly to moisturize his skin. I didn’t even know they could get it if my husbandry was good, in the past I dealt with a pig who had irritation from diarrhea getting in his feet but it cleared and never came back so this was new to me and unfortunately the vet did not want to prescribe anything besides pain medication, every time he’s been they said he was recovering from things at home and just needed better pain management or that there didn’t appear to be an infection, just sores. He has arthritis, tumors (probably cancer) and chronic IC. Please don’t be afraid to tell me if you feel the vets made the wrong call, I felt this every time I’ve gone. I am not sure if I want to go anymore despite family working there cause I feel like they have failed me a lot with him. Maybe it’s me grieving and being sad, I just feel like I should’ve gotten more help for all the money we’ve paid trying to save him. I’d been in and out of the vet for months trying to get answers, I even switched him to someone else recently.

Since his bladder surgery he developed chronic IC, I was going to put him to sleep in January but I decided to try Sherwood urinary supplements and he improved within an hour and bloody pee was gone in a week, genuinely I can’t say if it was a coincidence or not, but I felt they helped in some way as for weeks nothing else worked at all, no special diets or just keeping him on hay alone worked, no pain meds worked, nothing.

A few weeks ago Pumba grew a tumor on his foot unfortunately, though it has since stopped growing. I have found two small ones on his side this week now. They cause no discomfort but vet is sure it’s cancer, we opted not to do any tests because in the end there is nothing to be done regardless, I cannot put him through another surgery even if I wanted to. I just wanted him to be comfortable so I did bring him back to the vet for a kinda quality of life check once again and they were very pleased with his state despite being a bit underweight, so was I. I’ve been paranoid to go back cause every time I go I felt like we came back with pain meds and he got worse, well turns out there was a good reason for that.

Pumba ended up having horrible side effects on meloxicam (.35 ml), I had felt this was the case before but when we recently upped the dose to manage his pain fully he went into GI stasis the next day while I was asleep. I was able to get him to recover, within a day off the meds he felt amazing, he’s now been on tramadol (.4 ml twice a day) (which I believe is an opioid) which initially I thought was working great cause he gained 70 grams in 2-3 days and didn’t cry once or seem uncomfortable, but today he once again stopped eating and his breathing became heavy. His lungs are clear, mind I have a stethoscope next to me but he also was just at the vet, he’s had on and off breathing issues since his surgery which vet told me was stress and probably pain. I don’t know if that’s heart disease but vet said no, his heart sounded fine and previous X-rays showed nothing.

At this point I have been support feeding him since yesterday, yesterday he had been running around and wheeking and suddenly this. I am giving up hope that he is going to recover from the side effects of the meloxicam, in fact the vet told me she doesn’t know exactly what it’s doing but that it’s doing something. Whatever it is it increased his bladder pain by ten fold, he hadn’t cried like that even when he had his stone, unless maybe it’s stomach pain? An ulcer? But I assume crying from popping is from pressure on the bladder. I don’t know if I just need to give him some more time to recover from the GI stasis? It’s so hard cause the vet doesn’t really have answers for me either other than play it by ear.

I feel horrible because he was actually doing wonderful before we put him back on meloxicam, it’s just he had “flare up” days that lasted a few hours that made him uncomfortable, I wanted something to aid with that and his arthritis and pain causing him to pee himself which was making the bumblefoot return. I wish I listened to myself when I noticed the positive changes in him after taking him off the meloxicam for a while, I’d used it for my other pigs and never had an issue, so I thought I was being paranoid.

I feel so guilty because he was recovering slowly I just wanted to make him more comfortable since he was still not 100% and now I dont know what to do. His heavy breathing is a bit better, he’s more willing to take CC, but he is crying so much from pooping still after 12 hours of it starting and his flare ups never lasted this long. He has perked up a little but he is still lethargic and breathing heavy. I don’t know if I can hold out until tomorrow to see if he improves or vet suggested also taking him off tramadol for a day or two. I don’t know, I just really want input from someone who understands. I know only I can decide to put him to sleep, at this point should I just let him go? I don’t know how to decide, it doesn’t help he was so happy yesterday. I feel like my heart is breaking over and over but I can’t keep him here just for me. I’ve tried everything, I’ve tried really hard and I don’t know what else to do.

Hi there I can't offer any advice sorry but hopefully someone will reply soon. The love you have for him is abundantly clear and he is a good age so has obviously been looked after amazingly well by you. As you say we have to do what we genuinely feel is best for them someone on here said making this decision is the worst but if it is made out of love it's the most selfless act we can do but a heartbreaking situation to be in. How is he at the moment? 💙

Wanted to give a quick update, I had made the decision I would have him put him to sleep in the morning and was about to get a couple hours of sleep when he cried again. I checked on him and noticed something I’d seen before and gently removed it. This is his second sperm rod, he immediately started walking around on my bed when it came out and begging for water, he is exhausted though and not willing to eat anything besides CC still. I put him straight back on the meloxicam seeing as this must’ve been a horrible coincidence and maybe my past fears really were just me being paranoid.

I will have to assess how he is tomorrow since when this happened before he recovered really quickly. Regardless thank you for the well wishes and advice, if he doesn’t recover after this I will have to say goodbye, and that time might still be soon even if he does, but seeing him in so much less pain for right now has brought me a lot of relief. I have read through the resources and I’ll be keeping them in mind.

I also just contacted my vet about it but she won’t see til the morning so if she thinks he needs to be seen I’ll still bring him in to be looked at.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.webp
    IMG_3665.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 2
That's a big one, he will feel better having that gone.
All fingers and paws crossed here for him.
If you need to make the hardest decision you will get no judgement from anyone on here ❤️

No improvement besides his eyes being a bit more bright, breathing is better, and no more crying, he’s also been “talkative” a bit (he is a very vocal pig) which he wasn’t doing before the rod was removed. He has peed a bit of blood, but I am just glad he is peeing. He is refusing CC more than earlier this morning so not a good sign there. I think we will give it the day and if there is no improvement I will bring him in tomorrow to be crossed over, he’s been through a lot so I don’t know if he has the strength or willingness to start eating again on his own at this point, but I am keeping him comfortable and have a heated plush with him.

He has refused foot like this before and made it out fine after 48 hours but because of his physical state I don’t know if it’s realistic this time. I feel like I’ve come to terms with it a bit now so I’m just waiting to see if anything changes now that he’s calm in case he can pull through.

I wish I’d noticed the rod before but I’d even been paranoid and checked his penis many times for one and it must’ve just been hidden until he kinda pushed it out. I feel so horrible that must’ve been there for a while. He is the only pig I’ve had that has had an issue with these and I’ve read they are somewhat common so I assume his arthritis is preventing him from removing them himself? Last one was like 4 months ago I just thought at this point it was one and done.

Anyways I will update with what happens either tonight or tomorrow, giving him lots of pets.

We're so very sorry he was blessed because he was loved and he will have felt that love every day and as he popcorns happily and pain free over The Rainbow Bridge he will be sending you kisses and wheeks. Be kind to yourself as you grieve and we are all still here for you 🌈

So sorry for your loss of beloved Pumba.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Recognise that your grief is compounded by your grandmother and your dog.
Holding you in my heart ❤️

Back