When To Neuter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've had Alfie for a few weeks now, don't know his exact age but he's about 13-17 weeks. He weighs 730g. He's going to be neutered to live with my two girls. His cage is next to them and he's desperate for their company! I've never had a single piggie before and he feels quite needy!

The vet said he needs to be 4 months for neutering, which he could be. I was going to give him a few more weeks, but it seems a long time, especially with the 6 week wait after!

So any thoughts on when I should book him in!

The decision is your vet's during a pre-op check-up. Your vet is looking for a good weight, physical development (descended testicles) and good general health.

I know that you are impatient, but I think that Alfie needs to be a bit bigger yet to make sure that he can deal better with going under GA. Your vet needs to weigh up all these factors before he makes a decision in the best of Alfie's interest.

I'm sure you're right, it's a bit soon.

When I spoke to my vets before we had Alfie they just asked when I wanted to book him in! They didn't say how old he had to be! I also didn't expect the 6 week wait after, you don't get that with a dog or a cat!

I did read up but perhaps not enough!

Please make sure that your vets are piggy savvy. Honeybunnies rescue near Fosse Park have a boar neutering policy; perhaps they can tell you which vet they use, as he will be very experienced with neutering?

All good rescues practice a six weeks post op wait and there have been no reports of any pregnancies whereas we have had other pregnancy cases from boars that have been put with sows too early on this forum. Many vets are often a bit unconcerned when it comes to the crucial difference between mostly safe and totally safe going on their reaction to my Tegan's birth!

At 2 weeks post op, over half the boars have their remaining semen in the tubes died off, by 4 weeks you are up to over 90%, but only by 6 weeks you have 100% safety. However, it takes just one surviving last "tadpole" to do the damage as in the case of my Tegan... Thankfully, her mum Tesni was not too old for a first time birth, so all went well despite her not showing and fooling both a very experienced rescue lady and me!

I agree with Wiebke, it is essential to get an experienced piggy savvy vet who has done lots of successful neutering ops in the past.

My vet is on your list! So we should be ok!

I don't have a problem with the 6 week wait, I was just surprised as you don't have that wait with cats and dogs that I have previously had neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back