• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

When to euthanise

Storm and Daisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
Today my daughter and husband took our piggy Daisy to the vet as she had been dragging her rear legs the past 24 hours.
The vet advised that we should put her to sleep.
We have brought her home and have a painkiller for her while we think about it.
I wondered if anyone has any advice on when is the right time to put a piggy to sleep…I’m feeling very unsure about it and am probably going to take her to another for a second opinion.
We don’t know her age for sure as we adopted her from a family who emigrated, but probably around 7 years old.
She has had ovarian cysts for some time and then this problem with her legs just started late Tuesday.
She is eating well and the vet said she was clearly hydrated.
The vet said that she was very thin and this led her to believe their was an underlying health condition.
I realise this is a very tricky question but just wondered if anyone has any experience or insights to offer.
Many thanks in advance!

No one can tell you what to do, but my own view is that I would rather I let an animal go a month too early, than a day too late. I think the kindest thing we can do is not to let them suffer. It’s hard tho xx

I’m so sorry that you are in this position. Firstly let me say there’s is no right or wrong decision here and that opinions will always differ.
I take the view that quality of life is paramount and I ask myself can they do everything that a normal piggy should be able to do ie - eat, drink, pee, poop, move around freely and be free of pain. If not, I consider whether there is any prospect of improvement and what the future holds. I am often guided by my vets, because I have absolute faith in them acting in my piggy’s best interests, but ultimately the decision is still mine. I do tend to subscribe to the view that it’s better a day too soon than a moment too late, but whatever decision you make, you have to be able to live with it. It’s by no means easy. Go with your heart.

There’s a very helpful guide here A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Holding you in my thoughts

I’m so sorry that you are in this position. Firstly let me say there’s is no right or wrong decision here and that opinions will always differ.
I take the view that quality of life is paramount and I ask myself can they do everything that a normal piggy should be able to do ie - eat, drink, pee, poop, move around freely and be free of pain. If not, I consider whether there is any prospect of improvement and what the future holds. I am often guided by my vets, because I have absolute faith in them acting in my piggy’s best interests, but ultimately the decision is still mine. I do tend to subscribe to the view that it’s better a day too soon than a moment too late, but whatever decision you make, you have to be able to live with it. It’s by no means easy. Go with your heart.

There’s a very helpful guide here A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Holding you in my thoughts
Many thanks Vicki, that is very helpful.
Thank you Ruth x

No one can tell you what to do, but my own view is that I would rather I let an animal go a month too early, than a day too late. I think the kindest thing we can do is not to let them suffer. It’s hard tho xx

I’m so sorry Daisy is poorly. It’s a really tough decision. 7 is an amazing age and a testament to the love and care you have given her. Take care ❤️

Hi,
Today my daughter and husband took our piggy Daisy to the vet as she had been dragging her rear legs the past 24 hours.
The vet advised that we should put her to sleep.
We have brought her home and have a painkiller for her while we think about it.
I wondered if anyone has any advice on when is the right time to put a piggy to sleep…I’m feeling very unsure about it and am probably going to take her to another for a second opinion.
We don’t know her age for sure as we adopted her from a family who emigrated, but probably around 7 years old.
She has had ovarian cysts for some time and then this problem with her legs just started late Tuesday.
She is eating well and the vet said she was clearly hydrated.
The vet said that she was very thin and this led her to believe their was an underlying health condition.
I realise this is a very tricky question but just wondered if anyone has any experience or insights to offer.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi

I am very sorry that you are in this position.
Has your vet found any injury, arthritis, orany other neurological problems or has Daisy simply suddenly lost use of her back legs? How experienced is the vet with guinea pigs? How old is she?
There is a condition commonly called 'overnight back leg paralysis' that can affect guinea pigs out of the blue. It is caused by a sudden drop in calcium and that usually corrects itself fully or majorly over the following weeks. Osteocare can help.

As long as Daisy has an appetite (in guinea pigs that usually equals with an appetite for life), can poop normally and is interested in her surroundings and trying to live a normal life, then she clearly still has quality of life and the will to live. You may still have to consider euthanasia/pts at some point if she suddenly or gradually deteriorated. In view of her being very thin, you may want to top her up with a bowl of extra feed meanwhile but it sounds like you have a bit more time to digest the shock.

You may find the considerations and very practical advice in these links here helpful for working out where you personally draw the line and what you can do to support Daisy with often simple but effective measures in the meantime. Please take the time to read them as they will help you to answer many of your questions; especially the chapter about looking after terminally ill guinea pigs as to when call it shots even though it doesn't make the most cheerful of reading. But you should be able to work out better and with a clearer mind whether the time has come and when the time is coming to say goodbye. Your heart won't hurt any less but you should have a bit of an easier ride in terms of the inevitable feelings of guilt and soul searching during your grieving process.
- Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility
- Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection
- A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

HUGS

Hi

I am very sorry that you are in this position.
Has your vet found any injury, arthritis, orany other neurological problems or has Daisy simply suddenly lost use of her back legs? How experienced is the vet with guinea pigs? How old is she?
There is a condition commonly called 'overnight back leg paralysis' that can affect guinea pigs out of the blue. It is caused by a sudden drop in calcium and that usually corrects itself fully or majorly over the following weeks. Osteocare can help.

As long as Daisy has an appetite (in guinea pigs that usually equals with an appetite for life), can poop normally and is interested in her surroundings and trying to live a normal life, then she clearly still has quality of life and the will to live. You may still have to consider euthanasia/pts at some point if she suddenly or gradually deteriorated. In view of her being very thin, you may want to top her up with a bowl of extra feed meanwhile but it sounds like you have a bit more time to digest the shock.

You may find the considerations and very practical advice in these links here helpful for working out where you personally draw the line and what you can do to support Daisy with often simple but effective measures in the meantime. Please take the time to read them as they will help you to answer many of your questions; especially the chapter about looking after terminally ill guinea pigs as to when call it shots even though it doesn't make the most cheerful of reading. But you should be able to work out better and with a clearer mind whether the time has come and when the time is coming to say goodbye. Your heart won't hurt any less but you should have a bit of an easier ride in terms of the inevitable feelings of guilt and soul searching during your grieving process.
- Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility
- Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection
- A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

HUGS
Hi Wiebke,
Many thanks for your advice.
I will read all of the information you have kindly sent.
Daisy‘s appetite is still really good and she is pooping as normal…this is one of the main reasons I’m feeling very conflicted about the vet’s advice. The vet she saw was quite newly qualified and didn’t diagnose any specific injury.
In the past we have seen a much more experienced guinea pig vet at the same surgery but she wasn’t available.
At the moment I’m feeding her lots of fresh grass and keeping a close eye on her to see how things go.
Thankyou!

Hubby and I usually seek for a second opinion if our piggy was seen by a vet we haven't been to before, especially if the outright solution is to put to sleep without even a diagnosis why there is a problem. We know our pets very well and we trust our instinct if what the vet is saying is not matching what we see. We only trust 3 vets for our piggies, Kim & Simon Maddock at Cat & Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton and Ellie Whitehead of Derwent Valley Vets in Matlock. It's hard to find a very knowledgeable guinea pig vet.

Hopefully your Daisy's condition will be looked at by a knowledgeable vet and her condition improve. From what you are saying is apart from the dragging her back legs, she is still eating and pooping fine. Get a second opinion if you can. Trust your gut instinct. Your piggy will show you if she is really sick.

Hubby and I usually seek for a second opinion if our piggy was seen by a vet we haven't been to before, especially if the outright solution is to put to sleep without even a diagnosis why there is a problem. We know our pets very well and we trust our instinct if what the vet is saying is not matching what we see. We only trust 3 vets for our piggies, Kim & Simon Maddock at Cat & Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton and Ellie Whitehead of Derwent Valley Vets in Matlock. It's hard to find a very knowledgeable guinea pig vet.

Hopefully your Daisy's condition will be looked at by a knowledgeable vet and her condition improve. From what you are saying is apart from the dragging her back legs, she is still eating and pooping fine. Get a second opinion if you can. Trust your gut instinct. Your piggy will show you if she is really sick.
Thank you Anyar…Daisy is actually somewhat improved today so I’m continuing to keep a close eye on her for the moment and will definitely be seeking a second opinion.

View attachment 215536
I brought Daisy out to give her her painkiller medicine and now she’s happily chomping through another mound of grass with Storm.
She has taken a few steps and although she’s a little wobbly is much improved from where she was a couple of days ago.

The majority of back leg paralyses actually improves again; mostly on its own (although you might want to discuss osteocare calcium supplementation during the recovery with your vet to help speed up the process a little) unless it is a progressive incurable issue - but even with arthritis strong painkillers and glucosamine can make a difference and buy a bit more time. ;)

I would also discuss pain medication levels re. her loss of weight and have her checked for arthritis, including in the spine.

I had a piggy of about 5 who's back legs suddenly stopped working completely. With some modifications to the cages she managed just fine for quite a few weeks. She dragged them round like a little seal but she was still eating, drinking, bopping around etc. She barely lost any weight at all. She had no pain because she couldn't feel anything back there. Unfortunately in the end her problem was that because she rested on one haunch all the time - no matter how I tried to reposition her - she got a pressure sore; eventually the thinned skin tore and it got infected. Her flesh was completely slack and wasted by that point as she had lost all muscle tone - the paralysis was complete. She couldn't feel the sore, although we could all smell it, and the vet said it would only get worse and sepsis would follow so I made the decision to pts before she began to suffer. It was a heartbreaking choice but there really wasn't any hope. It wasn't the paralysis that made the decision for us, it was what happened after.

But it sounds like your little lady has got some gumption! If she can stand up and maybe wobble around a little bit she's doing OK and she can retain her muscle tone, so when she lies down she can change position. She's doing so well for an older girl 💕

The majority of back leg paralyses actually improves again; mostly on its own (although you might want to discuss osteocare calcium supplementation during the recovery with your vet to help speed up the process a little) unless it is a progressive incurable issue - but even with arthritis strong painkillers and glucosamine can make a difference and buy a bit more time. ;)

I would also discuss pain medication levels re. her loss of weight and have her checked for arthritis, including in the spine.
I have been watching her most of today and she is improving all the time.
I had a piggy of about 5 who's back legs suddenly stopped working completely. With some modifications to the cages she managed just fine for quite a few weeks. She dragged them round like a little seal but she was still eating, drinking, bopping around etc. She barely lost any weight at all. She had no pain because she couldn't feel anything back there. Unfortunately in the end her problem was that because she rested on one haunch all the time - no matter how I tried to reposition her - she got a pressure sore; eventually the thinned skin tore and it got infected. Her flesh was completely slack and wasted by that point as she had lost all muscle tone - the paralysis was complete. She couldn't feel the sore, although we could all smell it, and the vet said it would only get worse and sepsis would follow so I made the decision to pts before she began to suffer. It was a heartbreaking choice but there really wasn't any hope. It wasn't the paralysis that made the decision for us, it was what happened after.

But it sounds like your little lady has got some gumption! If she can stand up and maybe wobble around a little bit she's doing OK and she can retain her muscle tone, so when she lies down she can change position. She's doing so well for an older girl 💕
Thank you very much for your advice, and so sorry to hear about your piggy X

View attachment 215536
I brought Daisy out to give her her painkiller medicine and now she’s happily chomping through another mound of grass with Storm.
She has taken a few steps and although she’s a little wobbly is much improved from where she was a couple of days ago.
Sending her lots of love and vibes x

i hope she continues to improve.There is a vet list of recommended vets at the top of the page.you maybe able to find a vet near you for a second opinion .good luck.x

@Betsy had a Guinea pig called Vhristian that started to drag his legs and he had arthritis in his spine I think. He was put on regular daily metacam and he improved greatly. Good luck I hope Daisy keeps improving 🤞
Yes my RB piggy Silver Fox Christian did have arthritis in his spine and with a hefty dose of dog Metacam (0.7ml twice a day dropping down to 0.5 ml) prescribed by the vet, lived another 2 years.

Back