When to discontinue Young Guinea Pig formula

fiddlestitch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all!
So I acquired our two new piggies about 3 weeks ago from our local pet store. Unfortunately, they weren't able to tell me how old they were ("under a year old" I was told). I am guessing they were around 2 months when I got them (which would put their birthdays sometime in November). I only say this from having another guinea pig 20 years ago give birth to two babies. I realize basing this on old memories can be highly inaccurate and there wouldn't be any real way to determine how old they really are. I am fairly confident they under 6 months old. They are currently eating Oxbow Essentials Young Guinea Pig formula. I am estimating I will likely run out of pellets by the end of this month. My question to you all is: Should I buy another bag of Young Guinea Pig pellets when I run out, or to go ahead and transition them to the regular Adult formula? For what it's worth, this morning's weights are 479g and 527g.

They can have normal adult pellets now. In fact young piggies do not actually need young piggy pellets at all and can eat normal adult pellets from birth

Ensure pellets are kept limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day and that hay is the largest part of their daily food intake

Back