When Should I Bathe My Guinea Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlovemyBabyxoxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm a New Guinea pig owner and I had him for almost 2 weeks he dosent smell yet but I was wondering when should I give him a bath and what shampoo should I use ? I'm so confused on those to parts can someone ease my mind a bit

I usually do bum baths (if needed) once a week, usually on the longhaired piggies. Fully baths I tend do to as and when, I just judge depending on how they feel and smell. Again usually my longhaired piggies. :)

I do too, they don't tend to need bathing as often as their coats are easier for them to keep clean :)

I wash their grease glands once a month, and give them a full bath every 2 months. I use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo. Mine are short haired boars.

I personally wouldn't bathe your piggy yet, if there is no need, no smell or conditions, I would leave it. Plus our piggy is still settling in, you may wish to give it more time.
I'm not sure about shampoo's that are available in the USA, but I use gorgeousguineas which are great, they do shampoo's and treatments for a range of issues.

So I should wait untill he gets usto his new home before I bathe him ? Should I bathe him every month or few weeks ? Can I use any kind of shampoo ?

Lol I'm so lost ... So if they start to smell give them a bath but if they don't only twice a year ? In spring and autum

I Think @Stewybus advice is good, like you said as and when needed and then twce/ a few times a year is a good rule of thumb I suppose :)

Ok thank you both @Flutterby and @Stewybus I'm still new on the hole taking care of piggies can I use any shampoo ? Or it has to be a certain kind ? I just want my pig to be happy and I wanna know I'm doing it right

The best shampoos are the ones supplied by Gorgeous Guineas but most pet stores would sell a shampoo suitable for guinea pigs & rabbits. I've also hear a lot of owners use Johnson's baby shampoo.

I dont bathe any animals unless they really need it (dog excluded as she rolls in dead rotting seal etc on the beach *hurls*) so the boars get their grease glands done as and when its needed and they'd get done for lice reasons only here

Okay cool i have to go to my local pet shop n see what they have ... When will I know he needs a bath will he stink or his fur get greasy ? Or should I just mark it down on my Calendar "baby's 1st bath " and just go from there ?

I have two long hair girls who I bath and trim every two weeks because otherwise they stink and their hair gets matted but I only bath the two short hair maybe every six months just to freshen them up.

Bath if wet, grubby, or smell. You will know when they need one.

Okay thank you everyone for your help I'm just trying to make sure baby has a happy heathy life I'm still learning but with everyone's help I think I'll get the hang of being a good mommy too my piggy I just want him happy with me :luv::D I feel a lot of love and I feel very welcomed here thank you

Guys... Ive never bathed my boys in 4 months :( didnt know i needed to. They dont smell at all... Should.i bathe them? TU

I wouldn't worry. I don't bathe mine unless they start to smell or get dirty, usually my longhaired girl. My other girls are good and keeping clean. I will give a quick bath before they come in for winter too.

If you have boars, then they may need often bum baths because of their active grease glands. But for sows, only 4-5 months is often enough, guinea pigs don't particularly need baths, but it does help if they have parasites etc and freshen them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back