When Herd leader passes away

WheekHearted

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My current herd of 4 sows is losing their leader.

I’m likely very likely to leave the remaining 3 together with no new additions. I read the stickies. But unless I missed a section it mostly deals with pairs losing 1.

In this case they’ll be 3 left. I’m looking for tips and what to expect. Will the 3 grieve? Could they squabble among resetting the pecking order? What if any precautions?

She’s had a lot of issues mouth related mostly we’ve taken her in, we’ve given her syringe meds, routine sedations, teeth appointments but everything it’s a huge stress for her she’s so skittish and shy. But now she cannot eat or stand much due to digestive issues.

Anyway I’m shaky as I type this but has anyone dealt with a loss among a herd rather than a pair?

I’m so sorry you are in this position. I’ve lost a herd leader before. The rest of the herd will be aware of her frailty and will probably be paying her extra attention at this time. When she passes, it’s impossible to predict what will happen. Piggies are entirely individual in their grieving (extent and duration) and it may depend on their individual relationship with her. You may find some grieve longer and more deeply. My experience is that the whole herd is subdued for several days before finding their mojo again.

You may find there is a natural pretender to the herd leadership and the transition of power passes smoothly. You may actually find that power has already passed to the previous number 2 while your herd leader has been poorly. Or you may find that there is a bit of a power struggle to come. Only time will tell. Every herd is different.

Yes I have seen This exact thing. They especially one of them have been grooming, cleaning and just more friendly toward her! It makes sense they are very aware now. They seem in tune with her frailty. Wow .

Yes I have seen This exact thing. They especially one of them have been grooming, cleaning and just more friendly toward her! It makes sense they are very aware now. They seem in tune with her frailty. Wow .
I’ve actually been alerted by my herd’s behaviour on several occasions to the fact that one of their number is not at all well. They are such social creatures.

Merab was leader of a herd of 4 and when she died I wasn’t sure what to expect from the remaining 3.
As it turned out they very quickly sorted themselves out into a very happy trio.
I never did work out who the new herd leader was.
I think Priscilla and Jemimah decided to share the post.

So sorry that you are facing the loss of your piggy.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

Wow that sounds like it did work out. Did you end up leaving them as a trio? If not how long did you wait to add another to them After merab died?

So sorry you've had to say goodbye to your girl. The fact that that you could see it coming doesn't make it easier in the end 😪 But it's better to help them on their way than to let them suffer.
🌈

So sorry for your loss.
Even when expected and you know you have made the right decision it’s still hard.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

I just had her sedated then put down. There was more wrong with her. Doctor found She had cancer. And then there was three :(
I’m so sorry, but I think it really is the kindest option in these situations, sending big hugs, it’s such a hard decision but one made out of love x
Sleep tight little lady 🌈

I am so sorry. You’ve made the kindest decision in her best interests.

I'm sorry for your loss! :(

When Ginger, the beloved leader of a group of 6 (4 other girls, 1 boar) passed, I didn't notice any change of behaviour. But she passed away during the night, so they other piggies said goodbye on their own. And due to the presence of the boar the situation was a bit different to yours. With my groups, the passing of the boar always had a bigger noticable effect than the passing of a sow.
But the next days will show how your group will adjust.

I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming words of support and your condolences. Very strong and it means snd helps me out a lot.

Arwen is establishing her dominance since Galadriel was removed. Tauriel has no problems with her taking over. She will run and speak submissively toward her. She’s no issue. Eowyn and Arwen have raised their heads at each other and eowyn always drops her head first.

I’m thinking to add a healthy baby sow from a healthy litter. If at all. I herd 3 can be a tricky number. Yeah I believe it’s inevitable but it’d need be a baby. I tried adding adults before i have a bad Experience with that. But babies fit in fine ime.

Some know I did get a new baby… but I still am hurting over the loss of my gala.
She’s the first pig I have lost. I’ll always love her. The little one is balancing the loss with joy. And the others have really accepted her. So I should be happy about that. I am. Just feels bad she’s no longer here.

That’s perfectly normal @WheekHearted .
Just because another piggy arrives doesn’t mean you stop grieving.
Allow yourself to grieve and enjoy the new baby.
The new piggy is a successor to Gala and will have a lovely life filled with love.
Gala will always have a special place in your heart.

I am so very sorry for your loss :( Whenever I have lost a herd leader, the remaining pair / trio have sorted themselves out quickly and someone else has just taken the position of top sow. My most recent being a trio of a neutered boar and two sows. When Ellen died, Elizabeth quickly became my dominant sow and has kept that position when two more piggies joined to make a herd

Back