• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wheezing?

patnporridge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
guinea pig wheezing?

Hi, I heard my sweet baby boy Porridge making this kind of wheezing sound earlier, he sneezed at the end but keeps doing it on and off. Obviously concerned he has some kind of respiratory thing going on - assuming a vet visit is probably the way to go but wondering if anyone has heard their pig make this sound before and how it turned out? Captured it on video for an example.

My Bear had same symptoms so I took him to Dr. Jayne. Dr. Jayne said Bear had Upper Respiratory Infection and prescribed Baytril. Bear was on Baytril for 10 days, morning and night, and is fine now.

I would take him to the doctor as soon as possible.

It's a vet visit I'm afraid. It's important to try and catch potential upper respiratory infections (URIs) as soon as possible. If that is your diagnosis and you get antibiotics it will take 24 to 48 hours for them to take effect - they start working straight away but it can take time for them to beat down the infection. Sometimes even a bit longer like 3 days. They should also prescribe metacam or loxicom for pain relief and its anti-inflammatory action. It's like guinea pig Calpol - they like the sweet taste (they probably won't like the bitter antibiotic!)

URIs can progress very quickly so get him seen today. Take the video as sometimes they refuse to show their symptoms at the vets! It might be something else of course - like a bit of stuck hay - but that noise is not a normal noise. Hang in there little Porridge, and let us know how you get on x

Please have your boy seen by the vet soon as you can. I hope he is better soon and the wheezing stops.

guinea pig wheezing?

Hi, I heard my sweet baby boy Porridge making this kind of wheezing sound earlier, he sneezed at the end but keeps doing it on and off. Obviously concerned he has some kind of respiratory thing going on - assuming a vet visit is probably the way to go but wondering if anyone has heard their pig make this sound before and how it turned out? Captured it on video for an example.

Hi

If the wheezing/sneezing is recurring, then it is a vet trip to exclude a potential URI (bacterial respiratory infection) first and foremost because if left untreated or undertreated it can potentially kill or cause serious harm later on in life. Only after that you and your vet look for other causes.

guinea pig wheezing?

Your boy’s infection could spread, which is what Dr. Jayne said happened to my 5 year old Finn.

Bear, my newest member of the family, brought URI when he came to live with us, then gave it to my Finn, 5 years old boy. I ended up taking Finn to Dr. Jayne too for bacterial infection on his eye. So, both Finn and Bear saw Dr. Jayne and got treated after Bear came to live with us.

Details are on my thread Finn and Lara.

Definitely worth a vet visit, as respiratory infections can get serious in a hurry and it's best to catch them and treat them as soon as you can. Best of luck and hope he feels much better soon!

Back