Wheeking, are they asking for my help?

Popps&Dais

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of our guinea pigs has begun wheeking when another guinea pig is being dominant with her. Particularly if the other guinea pig wants the same spot that she is in. I know wheeking is just for humans so when she’s doing this is she asking for our help? So far I just chat gently to them when the wheeking starts and the pig that is being dominant tends to slope off.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I have been making sure that she’s getting her fair share of the food and watching their behaviour in general and she’s her usual bright self. She’s 5 and the guinea pig that’s being a bit dominant with her is 3 and a half. Our third guinea pig (also 5) seems unfazed by it all.

Wheeking or actually a high pitched squeak?
I would imagine this is just submission squeaking particularly in the circumstances you are seeing it ie when the other one wants her spot.

Thanks so much. I will listen carefully when it happens again. I’m pretty sure it’s wheeking but she’s also losing her wheek so it could be affecting her squeaking too.

Pigs will make a sound that sounds like a wheek which is actually submission, basically telling the other pig that they are not a threat and are submitting to the dominant pig. I'm wondering if this is what you're hearing.

Back