wheat grass?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
should wheat grass be avoided in bladder problem piggies (background - stone in the past, currently sludge build up in bladder)
hoping this post will get some clear answers as seen mixed reviews!

I think the most calcium would come from (some) water and nuggets.
If you cut out nuggets, I would think wheat grass could be used, but you would have to be aware of the high calcium content.

I am wondering if you could not use a different type of seed? Honestly I have no idea what kind of grass the stuff you would find in a park per say is, but I do know there are many types of grass seed so perhaps you could find one to work for you outside of wheat grass, because I am aware of the benefits of grass in a piggies diet.
Not really the answer to your question but have you looked into different types of grass seed?

I think the most calcium would come from (some) water and nuggets.
If you cut out nuggets, I would think wheat grass could be used, but you would have to be aware of the high calcium content.

I am wondering if you could not use a different type of seed? Honestly I have no idea what kind of grass the stuff you would find in a park per say is, but I do know there are many types of grass seed so perhaps you could find one to work for you outside of wheat grass, because I am aware of the benefits of grass in a piggies diet.
Not really the answer to your question but have you looked into different types of grass seed?

i feed no more than 5g of nuggets each per day, reccomened amount i think from piggie parcels is 15g. yes i can get other grass, its just iv now grown trays of wheat and i didn’t know if the calcium content was still low enough to feed but just higher than other grasses?

If they are only being fed a small amount of nuggets, which could realistically be stopped all together.

Piggies still need calcium, and I think grass is a good way to get this into them considering all its other benefits. Perhaps on the days you feed the grass you would not give nuggets?
Remembering that all grass needs to be slowly introduced!

If they are only being fed a small amount of nuggets, which could realistically be stopped all together.

Piggies still need calcium, and I think grass is a good way to get this into them considering all its other benefits. Perhaps on the days you feed the grass you would not give nuggets?
Remembering that all grass needs to be slowly introduced!

thanks so much!

Back