Wheat grass

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is wheat grass from pet stores the right kind for guinea pigs? It might be a silly question, but all the wheat grass containers in my pet store have cat pictures on them, so I'm not entirely sure if they're okay for guinea pigs and I can't get a straight answer from google.

I’ve had a quick search on the forum and it says it’s safe for piggies. But remember if your piggies are not used to grass you have to introduce it slowly. 😁

Mine absolutely loved wheat grass, but it does need to be introduced quite slowly if your piggies aren't used to fresh grass.
Mine would devour and entire tray in seconds, so I used it in Winter when I couldn't access fresh grass as a treat once or twice a week.
I would cut off a handful and scatter it in with their regular hay.

I grow my own on the kitchen window sill in the winter. You can get the seed on line or I sometimes get a packet in Wilco, Wilco sell it labelled as cat grass.

hiya can i please ask a few questions about how you grow your own grass?😀

It's okay here, it might help someone else although I'm not an expert plant grower. I just sprinkle seed in a pot and water when I remember!

amazing thanks so much! is it just cat grass you use or have you used other seeds? i have found some ‘bunny mix’ seeds but not sure if pigs can have some of the bits in them!

Attachments

• IMG_1282.webp
    IMG_1282.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 9
Those grasses are fine, a small amount of clover is okay but I wouldn't feed handfuls of it, I did read on here somewhere that lots of clover isn't good. That looks like interesting seed, I may try some. I sometimes grow normal lawn type seed in patio size pots for the winter, we face south so with the pots close to the house the grass still grows. Mine have grass from the grass patches (can't call them lawns!) too but this can stop growing in cold winters which is why I like to grow some in pots by the house and in doors.

Those grasses are fine, a small amount of clover is okay but I wouldn't feed handfuls of it, I did read on here somewhere that lots of clover isn't good. That looks like interesting seed, I may try some. I sometimes grow normal lawn type seed in patio size pots for the winter, we face south so with the pots close to the house the grass still grows. Mine have grass from the grass patches (can't call them lawns!) too but this can stop growing in cold winters which is why I like to grow some in pots by the house and in doors.

amazing! yes i wanted to get some normal grass like in the garden but wasn’t sure what it was called!

when you plant the seeds, do you literally just fill the tray with compost and then cover that with seeds then compost on top or is it more like making a hole then planting the seeds?

amazing! yes i wanted to get some normal grass like in the garden but wasn’t sure what it was called!

when you plant the seeds, do you literally just fill the tray with compost and then cover that with seeds then compost on top or is it more like making a hole then planting the seeds?

Grass seed needs to be sprinkled evenly over a tray of compost, then lightly pressed down to get good contact. You can very lightly cover with a thin layer of compost but you don’t need to. (When laying a lawn you just sprinkle the seed and lightly rake over it, so if I do grass trays I replicate that)

I just sprinkle the seed on top of compost and lightly sprinkle a little bit of compost over the top.

Don't get too hung up on calcium, they need calcium. Grass and hay has calcium in it, wheat grass has a little bit more. I feed a bit less than when I feed lawn grass. Not feeding enough calcium causes as many if not more problems than too much. Calcium in grass is well balanced and has other minerals they need to help expel any excess.

:agr:

Most calcium is via pellets and water.
I know you’re probably anxious about it given Della has had issues but a bit of calcium from grass is much less concerning. As piggieminder has said, they still need calcium. If you are worried, you could always cut their pellets down a bit on days you give something higher in calcium but I would not worry at all when it comes to grass

I just sprinkle the seed on top of compost and lightly sprinkle a little bit of compost over the top.

Don't get too hung up on calcium, they need calcium. Grass and hay has calcium in it, wheat grass has a little bit more. I feed a bit less than when I feed lawn grass. Not feeding enough calcium causes as many if not more problems than too much. Calcium in grass is well balanced and has other minerals they need to help expel any excess.

thanks!

:agr:

Most calcium is via pellets and water.
I know you’re probably anxious about it given Della has had issues but a bit of calcium from grass is much less concerning. As piggieminder has said, they still need calcium. If you are worried, you could always cut their pellets down a bit on days you give something higher in calcium but I would not worry at all when it comes to grass

thanks so much!

Back