What's Your Daily Routine For Your Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtneyyyleex

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm just interested to know what everyone's daily care is. I've had my guinea pigs for a while now but I still like to learn about them and see what I do differently to other people:)

Morning:
Poo pick the cage (I have a C&C with fleece), empty, disinfect and refill the hay tray, clean and refill water bottles, clean bowls. Chop veg, taunt piggies with the odd leaf while filling nugget bowl and then unleash the hairy, hungry force upon the food bowls.

Home from work:
Chat to piggies, quick snuggles.

Evening:
More poo picking, top up hay, replenish veggies.

Before bed:
Maybe some dried dandelion salad treats, more snuggles.

At weekends I tend to let them waddle around in the hallway for a change of scenery, with lots of hay, toys and snuggly things!

On a working day: coriander treat, quick poop pick, water refresh and nugget inspection. Poop pick and veggies and substrate plus hay replenishment after work.

The rest of the time they often have their run fixed to the cage, they get a similar routine and further little treats throughout the day, and for my snuggly ones, and evening snuggle. For my none snuggly ones, nose-sniffing, hand sniffing and chatting :)

I usually work two days a week.

I have a none cuddly guinea pig but her cage mate is really cuddly and I feel bad for cuddling one and not the other:(
Don't feel bad, when one doesn't like it I find they are often happier without the cuddles, or it seems that way to me :)

my routine is this:
  1. morning - unlock shed - feed piggies and change water/ top up hay in bedroom - quick cuddle, put cat proof mesh over shed door
  2. later in morning get piggies outside into runs on either concrete if grass wet or grass if grass dry, or get the run in shed for them to mess about in.
  3. late afternoon - more cuddles usually!
  4. after tea - full clean of both hutches - shake fleece liners so poops drop into hutch, then sweep up, spray, wipe the re-lay or change fleece (if wet or dirty) - if boys are outside alot then the hutch stays cleaner for longer! :nod:
  5. in bedroom area roll up puppy pad with hay on it, and brush up stray poops, spray and wipe, new pad down and new hay.
  6. get boys back in shed in evening and then before bed a final goodnight with more food/water/hay if needed.
  7. lock shed!

Morning: replenish pellet bowl and give fresh veggies. Give fresh hay

Afternoon: cuddles, cuddles, cuddles! (Also grooming or weighing if it's the time for that)

Night: take them out for floor time + refill the pellet bowl and serve fresh veggies. When it's time to put them back in, I either spot clean or clean the entire cage, replenish their water and hay, and then place them back in. Before bed I always place a towel over their cage until morning time :)

My routine is 9am : Fresh water, veggies and top up of hay.
12pm : play time, grass usually dry by then if not then on patio or if wet weather in house, spot clean hutches.
4pm : back in hutch, more hay and nuggets
8pm : veggies

Once a week on either Saturday or Sunday they also have a full health check and be weighed as well as full clean out of their cage x

Last edited:
Morning: uncover hutch, check water, refill dry food bowl, and check hay.
check indoor cage for the above.

Evening: Refill water, refill hay, salad/veggies.
Chin tinkles, check over...chit chat to them all - recover hutch late on.
Different piggy each night for cuddles and fuss.

Morning: use a brush pan and brush out poop, (this results in popcorning piggies, they love it when I clean them!). give pellets, veggies, top up hay and give fresh water.

Tea time: do another clean, give more veggies and top up hay if needed.

Night time: floor Time! Check if nails need trimming and give a brush. I occasionally use a grooming spray to keep their skin and hair healthy :) then cuddles before I put them back in for bed.

Do a full cage clean when needed, I always alternate their toys when I do full cage clean :)

I'm just interested to know what everyone's daily care is. I've had my guinea pigs for a while now but I still like to learn about them and see what I do differently to other people:)

Clean up the poop, fresh water in bottle and bowl. Around 1/2 cup fresh produce. I'm rotating between daily parsley, green beans, romaine, cucumber and less frequent sweet potato sticks, celery deribbed, bok choy, baby carrots and sweet yellow pepper. Pellet mix fresh every other day, fresh hay in the rack as well as clean bedding. I refill the fresh food bowl in the evening so it works out to be about 1 cup a day. One perk is I'm eating a whole lot more produce!
I hold Ted for 10 minutes of lap time so I can check nails. Son and I do 1 or 2 nails every few days. Son does cuddle and lap time 2 to 3 times a night for 10 minutes. When ever I go into sons room to put clothes away I talk to Ted. I do a cage check at bed time and maybe do a quick poo pickup if Ted was a busy boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back