• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Whats up with Buzz and Beavers blood!?

• Thread starter Thread starter Giddy da Guinea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giddy da Guinea

Ok, I think this may be normal, but I have to check!! Buzz and Beaver are BOTH dripping blood from where they wee and poo, and I donno if its normal, its been like this since i bought them, 3-4 weeks ago, and nothings happened, and they look like the healthiest Guinea Pigs ever! But, just wondring what it is, (they are both males).
Thanks, Tessa
:-\

Firstly let me welcome you to the forum from us in OZ :)

Love i'd be getting you're piggies straight to the vets, there shouldn't be blood when they go to the toilet if there is it usually means a UTI which will need antibiotics and probiotics administered O0
Did you get them from a shop or a rescue place either way i'd be asking about their health background and then seeing if they can help out with the vets bills.

Wishing you the very best for Buzz and Beavers health :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: btw cute names :smitten: :smitten:
Have you got piccies of them on here yet? i love piggie pics :)

Uniary Tract Infection
Have a look thru the health section here, do a search for UTI's and you'll see what other people have done O0
GOod luck love we'll have our paws crossed O0 :smitten:

Hop ethese guys are ok and have visited the vets, the shop you got them from should cover the fees O0

Yes, luckily a family memebr of mine is a professional vet, I don't have to pay, he says its UTI's, and doesnt want to do anythng for a while yet, beacuse its better to let it pass naturaly, but he will treat them if it continues... ;)

Gee you're lucky you have a vet in the family..... lol would've saved me a few thousand dollars on Duke ::) ::) and he's worth every single cent :-* :-* :-* :-*

Keep us posted on how they're doing O0

Yeah! I dont no why vets are so expensive.... Even just for an injection it costs triple a person would! Oh I will keep you posted! They seem quite happy at the moment, I just gave them some fresh rockmelon! They are nibbling away...

Could be a stone/sludge or an infection and I'd want at least antibiotics where there's blood.
I would see another vet, not good (or ethical?) to leave an animal without treatment.

3-4 weeks? Bloody hell! 98) I sure wouldn't want a UTI for that long without treatment!

I'd get a second opinion straightaway - I don't want to scare you and granted, my old piggy was four/five when he got ill like this, but he didn't recover from it. Time is of the essence... :)

Good luck to Buzz and Beaver :smitten:

As they both have it, its probably an infection. UTI's need treating straight away, your pigs wil be in pain when weeing, i agree with Karen that its unethical to leave them in pain, get them some antibiotics straight away before it gets worse! Ive never heard of one going away naturally.

I agree with everyone,this these boys need vetinary attention.Give them lots of water by syringe to help flush the kidneys and bladder through.Septrin is the best antibiotic for uti.

I've taken them to 2 vets so far, they say, no they are not in pain as its not happening lots, and they need lots of water...
but ive never heard of flushing, whats that?

You need to give lots of water by syringe and this will keep the bladder flushed/everything moving. I'd give at least 40ml a day by syringe if possible, if this turns out to be sludge then giving extra fluids is often the only way to keep the guineas well, hand in hand with a changed diet :)

Sorry, but passing blood is not good and they need attention! An x-ray or antibiotics at least!

Ok, GREAT news! Mum's rang the place we got them, well, shes ringing anyway. right now, I'll keep you updated guyzz! :D

[colorr]NEWSS! MUMS TAKING ME DWN TMW T GET UTI WATE SUTIN THAT WI EIVE THEI SIMPTMS!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quotGiy a Guina ]
[colorr]NEWSS! MUMS TAKING ME DWN TMW T GET UTI WATE SUTIN THAT WI EIVE THEI SIMPTMS!
[/quot]

You rally n to tak your boys to a vt, i ha a piggy who was pass a lot of bloo ovrnight (not 3-4wks) it took 3 courss of antibiotics & lots of xtra watr syring into him to gt him sort :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i know, the vets recommended i took them down to PetStock and got the dosage, and its apparently what your supposed to do and its as good as a vet can do, and it only costs 20$ or less the stuff... i will probablly still need to flush it as well, the vet down there is explaining to us how to do everything. so, illl keep u all posted!

and, i aint ever letting the boys down, but if theres one thing i do NOT trust, its vet procedures, it costs millions of dollars to give a pet an operation to get it just nauterd and half the time they end up dieing, i dont care how long it tae to get rid of it, I'm not risking money, and chances on VETS... we are going to PetStock tomorrow, a well knonw trusted petshop tomorrow, now, just coz u guys have only heard of one cure, (v ets) doenst mean there isnt more...
ill keep u guyz posted!! ;) :D

if you shopped around (vets) maybe you would find one who you trusted? i dont have a vet which i trust with my piggies right now but do hope you find one! and i know that alot of members do have vets which they can trust :) sometimes a vet is needed and if your piggies needs certain medication sometimes a vet can only prescribe it :)

i know, i had terrible dreams about the piggies last night, but, there are 4-5 vets in the place I'm going tomorrow, and i think they may be able to help if this medication doesnt. but we will see, maybe it does work, and i will be able to tell other people about the fabulous UTI helping, thingo. lol. if it doenst, we will see the vets at PetStock, and they will do something about it.

ok O0 alot of members on this forum have had many piggies for many years so they generally know whether the piggie should be seen by a vet asap etc and if ever in doubt i always think you should see a vet. i know I'm always saying it but its better being safe than sorry O0

yup, i know! never for a second did i doubt u were expirienced! O0 and I'm taking your word for it.. thats why I'm going to the place where there are vets to help and perscribe for us! ;)

and i will make a promise to u and my piggies, i wont let anything bad happen! ;)O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back