• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What's this scab? Please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi I'm so sorry if i'm being a pest, but i'm still new 2 this and I'm a bit concerned about bee, the other day i noticed that she'd cut the little dint in between her nose and her mouth, i figured this was because she had scratched it as they have been itchy lately due to mites (getting their second treatment on monday) i checked it again later on and it had turned into a scab which i thought was good and assumed it would heal however she seems to keep knocking it off and each time the scab comes back it looks bigger and in the last day its gone from a sort of greeny-red scab colour to a yellowy-white colour but it seems to have spread and I'm starting to wonder whats happened to it. I thought it may be a fungal infection but i dont see how this could result from a regular scab? Has anyone got any idea what it is? I know its probably nothing serious but I'm just worried about her :( My second problem is that both of the piggies have started regularly sneezing in the last day 98) nothing has been changed in their cage and neither has a weepy nose, they seem to be eating and drinking normally and are lively, any ideas what this is about? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm really worried about them :( thanks.
Emma x

P.S. I will try to post a picture of Bee's scab.

Re: What's this scab?

It sounds like the wound has become infected so a trip to the vets will be needed. Good luck to the pig :)

i agree. i think a trip to the vet is the best thing to be on the safe side O0 good luck

Yes,a pic would be helpful. I am wondering if this is a mouth sore,these can spread up to and over the nose.Are there any sores at the corners of the mouth?.

Do you feed your piggies with apple?,the acid in these can cause a sore mouth.

It could be fungal as you say.

Belindas Green cream sold by Chrissie is the best treatment if it is mouth sore.

WWW.gorgeousguineas.com

Hi i can't see any sores around her mouth, they have had apple twice in the last 2 weeks? Here are some pictures anyway, hope they work.
emmajayne28

emmajayne28

emmajayne28

This 1 shows the yellowish colour, this is what makes me think it's either infected or fungal
DSC02307.jpg

Looks like fungal mouth scabs to me. Either Chrissies oral gel or Belinda's cream that Chrissie sell would be good. Why don't you send the pigtures to Chrissie so she can suggest which product is best.

Gorgeous Guineas
Email: i[email protected]

The site is undergoing refurbishment but follow the link to the shop to see products :)

Ok il do this thanks, is this contageous? Bumble isnt showing any signs of it but would it be best to get treatments for both of them? Also, I'm going to the vets with them monday for mite treatment is it worth mentioning to her? x

Would Daktarin do the job too? or is that just for thrush of both ends.....!
I would check her rear end to check nothing is going on there too from when she reaches down to get her pellets.

Daktarin may help (oral gel). But Chrissie's creams are very good :) Good thought about her nether regions :)

Her nether regions look fine to me i check them everyday and haven't noticed anything, but would any problem be visible or would i have to have a thorough check?

Chrissie is great and will give you good advice but had to say ...what a beautiful piggie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi again! Bee's scab has completely gone today 98) the part between her nose and mouth where it was looks quite open but it doesnt look like a wound, I'm so confused! I'm still asuming that it is fungal though and have ordered some green cream from gorgeous guineas to be on the safe side, just thought i'd update :) x

Hi this is bee's nose this morning :) seems to be getting better, but still waiting for the cream
DSC02359.jpg

Just thought i'd update on the life of bee's scab ;D
Emma x

And yes that is my boyfriend in background eating his breakfast lol! ;D

This is looking much better. GG products usually only take 1 -2 days to arraivebut I guess the postal strikes have caused a backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back