What's the best combination in male pairs?

peachynpigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! So, a few weeks ago, one of my male piggies passed away, leaving Billy alone, he's doing good in terms of eating, pooping and drinking water, but I do notice him more "calmed down" and less active, sleeping in Obi's, my late piggie, hidey. We have been giving ourselves a bit of time to process Obi's death but I don't wanna put Billy at risk because of it, so i was wondering; Billy is approximately 5-6 months old and he was the more dominant piggie on my pair; what would be the best choice in another piggie? a younger one? an older one?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day!

Hello! So, a few weeks ago, one of my male piggies passed away, leaving Billy alone, he's doing good in terms of eating, pooping and drinking water, but I do notice him more "calmed down" and less active, sleeping in Obi's, my late piggie, hidey. We have been giving ourselves a bit of time to process Obi's death but I don't wanna put Billy at risk because of it, so i was wondering; Billy is approximately 5-6 months old and he was the more dominant piggie on my pair; what would be the best choice in another piggie? a younger one? an older one?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day!

Bill is currently right in the middle of teenage at the height of his hormone output and at the most difficult time for bonding boars, so please opt for a baby that cannot challenge him. Make sure that they are both boys before you put them together.

Two of my sow adoptees were actually sold as mis-sexed baby boys originally. It is not at all uncommon.
Here is our sexing guide with lots of pictures: Illustrated Sexing Guide

Here is our bonding guide, which also has a chapter with videos on bonding babies with adults. You cannot just put the baby in Bill's cage; you need to introduce them in another area to avoid a territorial over-reaction from Bill and a bonding fail.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Have you considered neutering and getting him a girlfriend? Obviously that depends on having a competent vet and the money to do it! But everything says the chances of a stable bond are higher if it's mixed-sex.

Back