What's happened to Haybox?

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've recently moved back to haybox and found they now wrap the hay in plastic! I originally went to hay box for the (almost) plastic free packaging. I understand that for some people the smaller bales in plastic is better making it easier for storage etc. I've also noticed that the delivery times are not what they used to be. I've been waiting over a week for my delivery.

Is anyone else having the same issues or is it just a one off thing? I'm thinking of trying out nature's own hay as I know it's been recommended time and time again on here. I just want reliable hay of a good quality.

Lots of us are/were having issues with them. I cancelled my subscription with them months ago due to their underhand change to delivery thresholds which resulted in my normal subscription no longer being eligible for free delivery all because I edited an order.

I found the haybox hay became much poorer in quality. The change in service and quality happened over sometime. One 5kg box smelt off and was greasy and dusty. The whole box went in my compost pile, after no reply to my email of complaint I discontinued my subscription. I like Natures Own for meadow hay (have used them for 10 years). I've just had a good experience with Happy Farmer for timothy although it's too stalky for some of my boars. I've just done an order with Little Hay Co to see what their timothy is like.

When an order went awol before Christmas they messaged me to say they were changing their production methods but had had some glitches. The plastic they use is recyclable - they said they switched to plastic to reduce cardboard packaging (fewer boxes) and waste (keeps fresher longer). The last couple of bags I’ve had (Orchard and Timothy Blend) have been nice and green. But I do empty the bags into old boxes as my arthritic hands don’t cope well with compressed hay 🤣

I don't like the new packaging from Haybox and delivery has been really slow. I order in the morning from Nature's Own and it often arrives the next day. Their sweet green hay is lovely quality. I just like to offer the piggies Timothy Hay too but they probably don't really mind.

I don't like the new packaging from Haybox and delivery has been really slow. I order in the morning from Nature's Own and it often arrives the next day. Their sweet green hay is lovely quality. I just like to offer the piggies Timothy Hay too but they probably don't really mind.
Is it green at the moment? I haven't ordered for a while.

I stopped ordering from Haybox - poor quality hay, troublesome delivery etc
I use the Little Hay company - excellent quality hay and lots to choose from
Delivery is great and quick and you can choose boxes or plastic packaging.
They do lovely forage too

Is it green at the moment? I haven't ordered for a while.
Yes, it's lovely at the moment. The quality is always good but sometimes the cut is shorter. I assume when they do a second cut later in the year.

Ah not just me that's a bit disappointed then, order took longer than advertised to get to me so had to buy naff hay from Jolleys, it's arrived plastic wrapped, haven't opened it yet but I even designed the stand my guinea pig cages are on to fit the hay boxes, Regretting not keeping the last two boxes so I could empty the bags into it. We have cats that like to eat and rip open plastic bags so this is going to be a nightmare because I get big quantities of hay, can't just hide these two massive bags somewhere!
Whole reason I went with hay box was because it was a plastic free(ish) alternative. What a shame! :(

I've switched to Timothy Hay ages ago, when haybox started sending hay that changed quality and final straw was when they started charging for delivery.... Now I only use Timothy Hay, they deliver within 2 days, free delivery and consistent quality. When orchard grass changed year ago, they explained it was because of the draughty summer and advised me to try softer Timothy, which was a great match!

This is the soft Timothy. I'll switch back to orchard once they start selling 2023 batch.

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_182357556.webp
    PXL_20240205_182357556.webp
    127.3 KB · Views: 5
Delivery has been slower. But I much prefer it in plastic that I now won't order from anywhere else. But I was having problems with booklice getting into the hay in boxes- they like boxes, so plastic suits me better. But also it's the softest orchard hay I've found and the pigs are prone to haypoke. The soft cut Timothy though the quality isn't good.

I was feeling very smug after cancelling my Hay Box subscription but went crawling back recently when it seemed like Perry wasn’t eating enough hay incase it was the Hay Box he was missing. I was worried that it wouldn’t turn up for ages but I ordered on the Wednesday and it came Friday morning so it looks like maybe the deliveries are getting back to normal now. Unfortunately it’s poor quality meadow hay. It almost doesn’t smell like meadow hay, like it’s been mixed with something to bulk it out (reminds me of a straw like smell) and I think plastic always leaves an odd smell on things anyway. It’s ok though and after all that, the pigs don’t seem too fussed of course! Not sure I’d call it premium hay anymore.

Tried Nature’s Own recently, the Devon meadow hay. It’s excellent value for money, delivery was fast and well packaged, it’s the nicest smelling hay I’ve tried… being super picky though I just wish it wasn’t chopped quite as short then it would be perfect!

I should have ordered earlier to take into account it's slower. It used to be with the courier the same day. While mine has been dispatched but not sent for a couple of days. Think I'm going to run out 🤦

I was feeling very smug after cancelling my Hay Box subscription but went crawling back recently when it seemed like Perry wasn’t eating enough hay incase it was the Hay Box he was missing. I was worried that it wouldn’t turn up for ages but I ordered on the Wednesday and it came Friday morning so it looks like maybe the deliveries are getting back to normal now. Unfortunately it’s poor quality meadow hay. It almost doesn’t smell like meadow hay, like it’s been mixed with something to bulk it out (reminds me of a straw like smell) and I think plastic always leaves an odd smell on things anyway. It’s ok though and after all that, the pigs don’t seem too fussed of course! Not sure I’d call it premium hay anymore.

Tried Nature’s Own recently, the Devon meadow hay. It’s excellent value for money, delivery was fast and well packaged, it’s the nicest smelling hay I’ve tried… being super picky though I just wish it wasn’t chopped quite as short then it would be perfect!
I've never been impressed with haybox's meadow hay. Though I've not bought it in quite a long time as one pig seems to disagree with it bladder wise.

I do like haybox's orchard and timothy blend &, coarse. But also not a fan of their soft cut

Back