• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What's happened to Captain?

• Thread starter Thread starter boysmum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boysmum

Poor Captain.

He was at the vet's 2 days ago for a check up on his eye as he had a bit of conjunctivitis. He was fine and had been eating and pooping as normal. Took him home from the vet and gave him his supper. He tucked into his grass and I was watching him munch away. I heard a crunching noise like a tooth snapping, Captain looked alarmed and scuttled into his hay. He didn't touch any more food. I checked on him yesterday and he had not touched any of his veg again. I've checked his front teeth and they look ok. COuld he have chipped a molar and it is rubbing on his cheek?

However, he did tuck into his dried food last night. He showed no interest whatsover in his veggy supper last night, so I pureed some greens and syringe fed him and gave him a dose of pro-biotic. This mornng, I see that he has nibbled at his brocoli but when I picked him up, he had a really poopy bottom. Almost impacted. I squeezed him gently and got one normal poop out. He has never been impacted before, he is 1 year 6 months. He looks pretty miserable too.

He has another appt at the vet tonight. Any ideas? How can they go from absolutely fine to the complete opposite?

:( :( :( :( oh no, i've no idea.... :-\ :-\
Let us know please on what they say... poor little fella :'(
Good luck Captain, we'll have our paws crossed for you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

btw they can go from eating normally to not at all very very quickly, i don't want to alarm you but this can happen, i've experienced it a number of times :( But quick intervention, like you have and noticed something was wrong... well it can make all the difference O0 Well done love :)

IIf it was the tooth they can go back to eating normally quickly and the teeth will grown back.

Lets us no how he goes at the vets tonight. Good luck :smitten:

Hmm.

Since Wed, Captain has been back to the vet 3 times. I am not happy with the diagnosis "Don't really know what is going on with him, just keep an eye on him".

He was 1.3 kgs. In the space of 2 days he went down to 1.1kgs and still losing. He was making rasping noises like a stuffy nose and I got Septrim from the vet, which he can tolerate as he has it before. I've also got probiotic. Now, when the vet was touching his face, jaw area, he was bucking away and squeaking in protest. I have never seen him do this before and he has had a lot of probing in the jaw area due to previous abscesses, so he is quite used to being handled. This behaviour was most unusual. I asked the vet to check his mouth and she quickly looked in it but said he had too much mushed up hay in his mouth and she could not see very much. And that was it! She also said that his probiotic carrot paste would be good for feeding! I am not sure about that. He gets it after his antibiotics, but I think she wanted me to feed him the whole tube! I told her that I was syringe feedng him pureed veg. He seems interested in his normal food in his hutch but gives up.

I've been syringing him his baby food puree and veg and giving him water too. I am still giving him tiny bits of his normal veg to see if there is any change. This morning, I noticed he had eaten about 5 strips of cabbage and half a small carrot. Phew! That's an improvement. However, I am just not happy. He is doing a small number of ittle poops and I think he is eating them as they are not there in the morning.

I have decided to get a second opinion from another surgery tonight. I want his back teeth looked at. I suspect he may have a spur. His weight loss is horrible.

>:( dam toofie problems
arghhh i've had enough of them, but i'm so sorry about Captain :'( :'( :'( :'( i agree whole heartedly with you tho, i'd also look at going elsewhere, mmm i'd not be happy with the answers you've had sooo far.. :-\
Excellent news that he's still willing to eat on his own and to eat the veggies that you're offering... keep up the good work O0 O0 O0
Can you give your exact location? and let the guys on here know where you are, they can then advise a vet or rodentologist in your area O0
Wishing you all the best, we've got our paws crossed for you :) :) :) :) :)

Did she not attempt to remove the food in his mouth? I took mine the other week for something and the vet gave her a check over. He couldn't see her back teeth for mushed food so he spent a fair few minutes flushing it out.

I think your right getting a second opinion. Hope he's feeling better soon :)

THe second vet thinks that there is a sore tooth. He is getting a dental examination this morning and his mouth will get flushed out.

I get so frustrated with vets, I've spent about £80 on iffy, non descript diagnosis. And I suspected it was a mouth / teeth thing all the time. This examination will cost me another £95.

I don;t mind the cost as I would do anything to help Captain, I just get annoyed that the "let's wait and see" diagnosis costs so much, when i wish they would take action at the first opportunity. Saves piggy getting worse and losing more weight in the meantime.

Anyway, I have been on poop watch. Captain did 2 good sized poops last night, I was so happy! This morning they were gone, so I think he is getting his nutrition from them by eating them. He is eating hay, just leaving all his veggies and mix. He seems interested in them however, as he drags the carrot and corn through to his night section, then leaves them. It's as though he wants them but knows he can't tackle them.

What special care do I need to treat him tonight when he comes out of the vet? Will he have a sore mouth? Can I syringe feed him or will it hurt? Should I buy Daktarin gel at lunchtime? I have Bonjela gel at home. would that do the same job?

Hopefully they tell you to use a painkiller as they usually come home pretty perky to start off with and then they go real quiet... it's a reactional thing :(
Chop up everything real small and offer all his absolute fav things :) Even mush up some pellets, i'd give that or CC as he'll need to keep up his energy and his little system ticking over properly. Syringe feeding will not hurt, once you and he work out the best side for him to feed from you'll be fine O0 Duke prefer to have the syringe from his left hand side of his mouth, i believe every piggie is different.
mmm please ask the mods who have more experience on all these drugs, i use Daktarin for nose sores etc... Bonjela is for mouth sores, but please don't go by what i say ask the experts O0 i would think they're different (from my children's experience) but as for piggies i'm really not sure sowwwwy :-\
Darling Captain we're sending you heaps of healing wheeks and heaps of kisses from me and Duke sends lots of manly brrrrrrrrrrrrrr's for you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Glynis. It seems that your Duke and my Captain go through the same things! Abscesses and teeth. :(

I'm here at the office trying to do my work, but my mind is drifting off to my wee boy. He's so adorable when being syrnge fed. He looks so vulnerable. he likes his pear puree, hates his carrot and brocoli one! I don't have CC here, I have been mixing in some Science Recovery into the puree to give him fibre.

My other pig Davey feels left out! Captain is getting all the attention at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back