What would be a reasonable minimum housing requirement?

lauryn1289

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you’re all well. Since my boys Kip and Bobby died in January and February I’m down to two boys, Ollie and Eggs. I would love to take in another piggy who needs a home, but I’m so stretched for space.

It’s not an exact figure because the c&c cage is L shaped, but Ollie and Eggs each have around 2x3 to themselves. If I took in another piggy, I would be able to offer them 2x2 maximum. I already wish I could give Ollie and Eggs even more space, but I just physically don’t have the room. :(

Would it be cruel to keep a piggy in 2x2? I’m torn between it’s too small vs. a bit too small is better than being unwanted and taken in from the want ads by someone who might have no other pigs, mightn’t feed it correctly, might have no more suitable housing than me or have experience with piggies at all. I’m really torn on this! I know it’s not ideal.

It is lovely that you are open to offering an unwanted piggy a home.
But the reality is that a 2x2 is no where near enough space, and would not only be too small, but mean the whatever piggy lived there would never have the chance for a companion.

It is hard as many piggies live with less, but it would be wrong of us to advise you differently.
It is clear you offer a great home to a boar pair, so try and focus on that.

It is lovely that you are open to offering an unwanted piggy a home.
But the reality is that a 2x2 is no where near enough space, and would not only be too small, but mean the whatever piggy lived there would never have the chance for a companion.

It is hard as many piggies live with less, but it would be wrong of us to advise you differently.
It is clear you offer a great home to a boar pair, so try and focus on that.
Yeah my boys Ollie and Eggs actually live in the same cage just with a barrier because they can’t stand eachother in the same space, but love eachother from afar so I didn’t particularly imagine another piggy would be able to bond with either in a group of 3, just breaks my heart seeing piggies being given away for free on want ads and having no idea where they’ll end up :(

Back