• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What worms do piggies get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just following on from another thread about worms I am just interested to know what worms it is that they get? Are they the worms that we can get are they like the worms dogs and cats get etc? If they were to get the worms how would you know, in humans you can see them in poop and other symptoms. In cats if they get worms they tend to eat tons and they loose a lot of weight so what are the symptoms for piggies? I have never wormed mine and would only do it if I thought it were necessary ?

wiggly ones ;D sorry i m not sure , just looked at my piggie book - peter guerney and it doesnt say what type. I think it probably is the same as what cats and dogs get.

All it says is guinea pigs seldom suffer from intestinal worms but by feeding off the ground they can ingest small parasites that unbalance the gut flora so its wise to worm them once every 3 months.

not sure if that was any help

Not sure on types but this last couple of years I've had a few rescue pigs with worms/internal parasites.
Weightloss despite eating is the sign that I've always had in pigs.

If you want to worm regularly then I would recommend a herbal wormer and save the Ivermectin/Panacur/Valbazen (heavyweights) when you know a pig has worms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back