What veg and fruit can you feed guinea-pigs daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what fruit and veg are guinea-pigs okay to eat everyday? Thanks

Piggie Salad

Hello,

My piggies get a mix of Cilantro, Parsley, Kale, Cucumber, Carrot, Red Pepper, Spinach, Celery, Swiss Chard (when available)... and a little bit of apple, grapes, oranges (whatever fruit we have on hand). I try to buy organic whenever possible so that they don't have any pesticides on them. My piggies don't like the broccoli/cabbage family.

I just make an ice cream tub every couple of days and it keeps me going so I'm not rushing around making salad for every meal.

Hope that helps!

Jessica in Kelowna

I am relatively new to guinea pigs, and I had the same question as you, but what I did was to buy some of everything fresh that I could find and give them as much as they could eat every day and throw out the stuff that they didn't eat. A couple of months later I would try the rejected food again, if they still didn't eat it I didn't buy it again. I read the advice here and other places on the Internet. I generally give them the same thing every day, but it's not everything in the list below as some things are seasonal.

Red will eat:
Parsley, carrots, celery leaves, cucumber peels (not the white part), sweet apples, green beans, and cauliflower sometimes. I pick grass, dandelion leaves, clover, hay (Timothy and orchard grass grow wild here), and mulberry leaves.

Sal will eat:
Parsley, carrots, celery sticks and leaves, green peppers, sugar snap peas, green beans, sweet apples, and beetroot. He also eats all the picked stuff that Red eats.

I've tried the big leafed greens such as kale and collards but neither will eat them, and I've tried other fruits but neither will eat them. Red tries all the new stuff once, and if he doesn't like it he doesn't go back.

Thanks, justagrrl, I didn't know they would eat cilantro, there's lots of it in this area.

some piggies enjoy apples but please be aware that the acid in apples can cause sore litle lips [abit like cold sores] not all piggie are affected but it needs to be considered, when the weather is hot i slce up chilled melon [skin removed] and they make very short work of it, the fun continues because as they clean themselves they have the juice around their chops ~ yummy!

have just read the list, OMG! half of that stuff i have never heard of! that is a really long list! will have to try the MRs (mr guinea and mr tumble) on a variety! may have to print the danger foods as it will be quicker when shopping to know what to avoid!

My babies seem to love green beans too...although I just realized perhaps I am a little crazy as I'm cutting the ends off of the beans for them... :))

IMG_2707.jpg

mine get (not always on a daily basis)

Apple
Banana
Pear
Grapes (seedless)
Melon (with skin)
Watermelon (with skin)
Mango
Pineapple
Cherries
Strawberries