• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What to use?

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

I am acting as half way house for a piggy for a week, this sow has been through the wars - had an op to remove an abscess 2 weeks ago. She is a little darling but looks like she could do with a boost! She has been Ivomec'd and is eating & drinking fine. What else could I give her to bulk her up a bit?

I'm not going to post pics because she's for one of our forum members - & she is a wedding prezzie, I don't want to take the glory of showing her off!! ;) (I was asked to get her btw - she isn't a surprise animal gift!). It is going to be VERY hard seeing this little one go ::)

Hi H :-* just try the usual veggies and maybe even some CC or Recovery to boost her up, you're a darling doing this :-*
Ooooo secrets, i love them shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alfalfa hay is fattening, but not too much. just a little treat here & there. also fruits have lots of sugar in them - but be frugal.

Metatone as Michele has said and personally I would be offering Critical Care mixed with water and a dollop of fruit baby food and syringed as it is very high cal and will really help boost the little one up a bit.

She's not what you would even notice as being ill - its just because she is in the house with me all day I have noticed that she isn't up to scratch. She's eating like a horse so would syringe feeding her be necessary? She's only been here since Tuesday so I guess its still early days....

Oh yeah & is there only one type of Metatone that I can get? and what is the dose & will a small Boots chemist sell it? ....... I feel like my daughter, Why? When? Who? What? !

Boots normally sell it , Per Piggy Potions dose is 0.5ml daily for a week then 0.3ml for another week or until eating has returned to normal.

But what if they're eating but still losing weight?

Definitely an underlying problem then. No matter how much you syringe feed then it's still not going to make much difference unfortunately

I wouldn't say she's losing weight, she doesn't have a nice covering of fat like my lot! I think that she needs a good week or so of good constant care to get her up to scratch. The Metatone sounds like an ideal thing to give her a little boost. I am going to weigh her today & see what she's at. I am surprised that the 'prospective' owner hasn't seen this yet! if she's a long term case she might have to stay here for a bit longer as I have her away from the other pigs just incase she does have something nasty.

If she is too much of a special needs pig then she is more than welcome to stay here with my lot O0

hils78 said:
I wouldn't say she's losing weight, she doesn't have a nice covering of fat like my lot! I think that she needs a good week or so of good constant care to get her up to scratch. The Metatone sounds like an ideal thing to give her a little boost. I am going to weigh her today & see what she's at. I am surprised that the 'prospective' owner hasn't seen this yet! if she's a long term case she might have to stay here for a bit longer as I have her away from the other pigs just incase she does have something nasty.

If she is too much of a special needs pig then she is more than welcome to stay here with my lot O0

sorry, stuck in work and chores and on top of it all my OH is having manflu at the moment!

now that I have found your two threads I will def. pop in daily to see how my girly is going on! (poor lass)

And I demand pictures! 666) Nevermind stealing limelight - I want to see more of my new girly! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back