What to feed in replace of bell peppers?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My piggies daily diet consists of bell peppers, cucumber, little gem lettuce and coriander with mini corn on the cob and green beans once or twice a week. Now every so often, they seem to stop eating bell peppers and they get left. What can I feed daily instead in order for them to get their daily amount of vitamin C when they decide to fall out with peppers? I really should know the answer to this question after so many years of piggy ownership but I’ve never had s group of piggies stop eating peppers

Coriander is the other good source of vitamin c. You’re feeding that already so that’s not bad.

Do they go off all the colours or only generally like the one?

Hector has his moments about pepper(any colour) most of the time he would rather leave it. He suddenly decides he likes pepper when its the last bit of pepper and I am about to start a new one. Which then of course is no good, in his opinion, until thats nearly finished too!
I don’t worry about it anymore. The boys get coriander daily & Hamish usually hoovers up any leftover pepper!

How interesting, I have read of multiple piggies on this forum not enjoying bell peppers that much. Rosie and Lily will be waiting for your home addresses, they will clean up and eat any bell pepper in 5 mile radius!

We feed ours all sorts, tomatoes, Peppers, they like kale, cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower leaves they love.

As long as you are offering them a variety of veg daily and unlimited hay Claire they will be fine.
It is normal for them to go through picky phases, and sometimes veg just tastes different.
Your diet for them is perfect.
Keep doing what you are doing and don't worry if they don't eat it - they will eventually, and there is plenty of vitamin C in the other bits you are feeding them.

Yes I agree with the above, vitamin C rich foods should be offered daily to piggies and humans, but a clinical deficiency takes several weeks to develop, by which point the piggy or person concerned will be craving and vit C rich food and eat it up straight away!
Most herbs are rich in vit C, also at this time of year when herbs aren't at their best, broccolli- mine like tenderstem broccolli with more stem than flowery end, I wouldnt feed it all the time, but during the winter it is a once-a-week staple in my piggy veg rotation, a great asonal veg option and a source of many nutrients that can be missing in forced herbs and lettuce grown in greenhouses out of season. Bit high on the calcium/oxalates, but you can always cut back on pellets, broccolli is very filling.
Pellets and hay also contain vit C of course, and even naughty carrots or soft fruit as an occasional treat if you are worried and want to tempt them with high vit C foods- in this cold weather some occasional extra calories won't go amiss either, as long as it isn't carried on all year!

Back