What To Do When I Bring The Piggies Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As quite a few of you know, I'm getting my piggies in mid August and I was just making sure what to do when I bring the pigs home? Please guide me through it, including when I should start petting, picking up and when I should introduce them to little kids (what age)? Thanks!

You may find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

I wouldn't let small children pet and touch the piggies until the piggies have started being relaxed about the experience, interact with you and are confident. The danger of bites is otherwise quite high. But watching piggies at run time, making toys and building little obstacle courses once the piggies have found their confidence provides lots of fun.

Hi everyone!

As quite a few of you know, I'm getting my piggies in mid August and I was just making sure what to do when I bring the pigs home? Please guide me through it, including when I should start petting, picking up and when I should introduce them to little kids (what age)? Thanks!
Very exciting times ahead!
Once you get them home and in their cage, it's best to leave them alone for a couple of days while they get used to their new surroundings and noise. You might not see much of them at first as they will be very nervous and will hide (mine did this for nearly a week). Sit by their cage and speak softly to them so they get used to your voice and once they get brave and venture out try not to reach in to stroke them straight away.
After a few days try to bribe them over to sniff your hand with bits of veg. Veg is the key to everything!
I'm not sure what stage to introduce them to children but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help :)

Hi everyone!

I think it's soooooo great that you are preparing and asking these kinds of questions before bringing them home! BRAVO! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm so excited for you.

Angela

This is just what I did it might not have been right but it worked for me.

Bringing them home we had them in a cardboard box but one of my piggies was really stressed running into the walls and wheeking, so we took them both out and held them near to each other for the rest of the journey. When we got them home we carried on holding them and petting them for about 15 minutes talking calmly and not been too fast, jumpy or loud. We explained to my 7 year old brother that he needed t be careful and he was great with them.
Then we put them into their hutch and watched them run around for the rest of the day. The next day they were still pretty skitish as they were babies but we held them and petted them for 15 mins ish again. We carried on only holding them for short periods building up on noise and other possible things that may have scared them, eg. Instead of whispering we moved into a gentle talk but never shouting. Another thing is if you adopt 2 piggies together who are used to been together make sure they are close to each other for the first couple of weeks to avoid anymore stress.
Brushing your pig is a great way to make friends and its fun for kids too or just holding them, watch out if you have babies though as they may pee :)
Hope this helps and enjoy your piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back