• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What to do- heard pig cough

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

I have never - touch wood - had a pig with a cold. Today there has been a pig doing the odd cough & I've tracked it down to Spud. At what point do I intervene with something? He has had for the past month had an odd small amount of crystal like crust (like sleep but white) in the corner of his eyes which have caused me no concern because he has been happy & healthy. Sylvie - has been licking his face alot which is sweet - I don't know if she's just been cleaning his eyes for him ( :-*) or if this has contributed to the crust. Just to add that it isn't a massive amount at all & isn't causing him any discomfort.

So at what point do I give him some medication or do I need to get in quick. He lives inside by the way.

If it is just a cough and he shows no other signs I would just monitor for now.

If he seems fed up, hunched over/fluffed up and you can hear any rattling, clicking or snuffling or he gets a runny nose etc then straight to the vets.

It could be nothing - mine cough when they eat too fast - but there are also a lot of URI's around at the moment so keep a close eye.

I think my Nutmeg does this. I think she's just clearing her throat as there's nothing else wrong.

The licking of the face my girls do that to harry who purrs at first then darts round in a fit of popcorns!

there all loons!

hope hes ok, ive not heard them cough Zub sneezes when he sniffs for his fav bits of his food!

Ok I'll just keep an eye on him - I don't really want to dive in with the Baytril if I can help it.

It's not like that noise they make that sounds like they're being sick even though it's impossible is it?

PS Hils if you still wouldn't mind helping me with the Father Nature costume, let me know how much you need and i'll paypal it to you, or send it to you, whatevers easiest for you :)

Its def a cough on helium!

Re the outfit - pm me & let me know about ideas that you liked the sound of best & Ill see what I can do for the cheapest cost.x

Oh poor little Spud maybe an allergy?
Have you been wiping the eye with either diluted water and salt or saline?
Duke used to clean Sully's eyes for him too :-*
Sending him lots of piggie kisses and hoping that all is well for you both :-* :-*

I have noticed cindy doing the same sort of thing it almost sounds like she is sneezing... I was wondering why she was doing it and i think i have seen wilson do it once... hmm lol

Cornelia coughs, but otherwise appears healthy. Her eyes are clean and bright, she moves quickly, still squeaks. I figure it's okay unless their poo isn't normal for a few days or if they're lethargic and not acting/eating normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back