What To Do For Albie

MunchMummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I posted on here a week or two ago about out bereaved boar Albie and his new rescue cage mate Daisy, who is currently being treated for Vestibular Syndrome.

Daisy is doing OK. We have reduced her pain relief and she's eating well with just supplementary syringe feeds. She is mostly upright now but isn't moving around properly on her limbs yet and spends much of her time resting...although she does shuffle herself to food and into her pigloo. She is still on Baytril but vet is reviewing this hopefully today.

Albie and Daisy are still separated (having only actually lived together for a few days)...in the same enclosure but just C&C grids forming a barrier. The vets have said it could take several weeks for Daisy to regain her balance and movement...but nothing is guaranteed.

I'm just so worried about Albie. He is eating fine and coming out for food. But he spends most of his time in his hayloft, snoozing. I may just be projecting here but he just seems "sad". He is an old boy...we think about 6 (although he was a rescue so he could be older/younger). He doesn't show much interest in going to see Daisy at the barrier when she's nearby. He knows she is there but never goes to see her.

I don't think Daisy is ready for his attentions yet, but I'm so worried about him being alone. I don't know what to do for the best for him...new friend or wait to see how Daisy goes. Some advice would be good. I'm so anxious about it and just want to do the right thing for both of them.

Thank you.

If he's still eating and drinking and his weight is stable, I wouldn't overly worry about him for the time being. Every pig deals with bereavement and separation differently but it doesn't sound like he's pining for comfort.

Back