What to do about a steep staircase?

Rocket3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 3 guinea pigs and they’re getting quite old now and the staircase is getting a bit too steep for them what should we do about it we thought about putting one of those pets at home red tunnels that you pull to get bigger

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    64 KB · Views: 7
There are a few things you can do

- make sure there is plenty of grip. The ramp does not look to have any grip so we would definitely recommend it is covered. Things like using Velcro to stick on pieces of carpet or vetbed really help. I like vetbed as it can go in the washing machine. Peel off from the Velcro and give it a wash and then put it back on once dried. having two pieces helps here so you have one to replace while one is washing
- in addition to covering the ramp, I would recommend you adjust the gradient. Something like popping a brick underneath can be enough.
- remove the ramp altogether and have them live on a single level once they are older.

There is a bit about different coverings of ramp in this guide - Ramps in Cages

If I had the decision between some sort of grippy carpet and that tunnel, I would go for a carpet of some sort.
Tunnel ramps are generally made out of fleece, I would just be worried that the tunnel wouldn’t offer much support.

I’m

If I had the decision between some sort of grippy carpet and that tunnel, I would go for a carpet of some sort.
Tunnel ramps are generally made out of fleece, I would just be worried that the tunnel wouldn’t offer much support.
thank you so much very helpful!

Thank you very much really helpful

Back