What temperature to start using heat pads?

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In outdoor hutch with insulated hutch cover on. What temperature outside should we start popping a heat pad in there? Don't want to make it too hot for them.

They are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees and anything below 15 degrees is cold for them.
So, it depends on what night time temperatures are in your area and what temperature your hutch is getting down to, but if your hutch is less than 15 then I’d be adding heatpads and additional insulating measures in.

Mine are in my shed and as it’s warmer in there I’ve not yet had to add any additional measures other than just pulling down the plastic fronted hutch cover. As it gets colder they will get additional hay, blankets on the hutch and the addition of heatpads incrementally. I have four heatpads but add in one at a time so the bedroom area is a warm space they can go to but so that I can still add the others in elsewhere as it gets colder.

Mine have been having a couple of heat pads over night for the last couple of weeks in their outdoor hutch with insulation and cover (southern England). Today is moving day as they go into a heatable indoor space once the weather deteriorates. It usually works out around October half term break. I saw our forecast is fairly wet for the foreseeable future so wanted to wash and dry the hutch and cover today. Their indoor accommodation is not part of the main house so not as warm as proper indoor living, but much warmer than outside and properly protected from all damp. Once in there I won't need the heat pads again until the weather is a fair bit colder.

Ours are indoors and I have already given them
One but I think that’s because I’m a bit soft!

Back