What temperature to add cooling items?

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The room thermometer is reading 22.8

The pig cage thermometer says 22.4

Do they need cooling items yet? We have a cooling tile and ice pod.

You can certainly pop them in. What you want though is for piggies to ignore such ice packs as that means they aren’t feeling the heat. If they sit with ice packs then they are already overheating.
Make sure you use all measures to keep the room cool as that is the best thing, not just using ice packs.

Hot weather warning for the UK - plan now to keep your piggies safe!

You can certainly pop them in. What you want though is for piggies to ignore such ice packs as that means they aren’t feeling the heat. If they sit with ice packs then they are already overheating.
Make sure you use all measures to keep the room cool as that is the best thing, not just using ice packs.

Hot weather warning for the UK - plan now to keep your piggies safe!
Thanks. I’ll add one in now.

All the blinds and curtains are closed but the windows confuse us because all are south facing but there is a slightly cool breeze. So they’re open now but I don’t know if that’s the right thing. They were left open overnight.

Hanging wet sheets (as per the guides) over south facing windows can really help to stop the heat from blasting through the glass, and keep the room cool.
Only opening windows once the air is cooler.

Ok thanks.

I’ve added the ice pod now. Perry was straight over to investigate and approve it lol. He’s very inquisitive (nosey!)

Back