What Temperature Is Your House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been struggling since the winter set in to find the right temperature to set my central heating to for my pigs.

I normally have it on 20 degrees but sometimes (mostly when I'm sat still) I feel FREEZING and have to turn it up and worry the pigs are also cold, and other times when I'm moving around a little bit (And i don't mean a work out) I am absolutely boiling and want to turn the heating down but I worry my guinea pigs will get cold.

I turn my bedroom radiator off at night because I get far too hot but the rest of the house including guinea pigs room is left at 20 degrees.

Ours is usually turned to 16 at night as we get too hot otherwise... I have been worried they might be too cold but not sure what the temp should be ?

Mines set at 21c and room temperatures may rise or drop a little, the cold always concerned me, so now I have made a large cosy area for my boys in their cage, it has a double layer of extra plush fleece blankets for them to snuggle under, trouble is I never see them now :)

@artcasper I think they're supposed to be in temperatures between roughly 18 and 24c but I know what you mean about getting too hot overnight with the heating on.

@Moo it's such a good idea to have the cosy part of the cage and you're lucky they use it. Mine have a 'den' as shown in picture below. They have a pillow in there that they sleep on most of the time but I did put a scrupled up fleece in there a few weeks ago hoping they would snuggle inside it but instead they slept next to it. They also have a cosy bed but one only sometimes uses it, the other never steps foot in itimage.webp

i will put some more fleece in there then so then can snuggle some more.. they are next to a radiator too... they have a new cosy fleece house, starting to use it a bit more.. they tend to either sleep in the same corner on in the hay tray !

I keep our lounge between 16 and 18 degrees. My foster piggies have a pigloo each loosely filled with shredded paper which they snuggle into if needed. But quite a lot of the time they snooze out on the fleece bedding. One end of the C&C has a blanket pegged over the top. They have a small pipe-style electric green house heater under the table where the C&C sits which I put on overnight for them - underfloor heating!:tu: The milder weather at the moment certainly has helped keep the room temperature stable though.

Downstairs is kept at 22 degrees C and upstairs (where the piggies are) is about 18 degrees/21. We don't have a radiator working in the pig room due to the cage being right next to the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back