What temperature is okay?

_Mel_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I'm planning on moving my pig outside soon (and once I've found a second one.. nowhere seems to have a female🙄) but I don't know when's right to do it? The said in the pet shop to do it when it's warmer but what temperature would be good? They will be going in a large two story hutch in a shed type area my dad has built.

Youre looking for the night times to be warmer. Perhaps another couple of weeks yet.

Put a thermometer into the shed they are going in and monitor it. You may find you still need to use snugglesafe heatpads for a short while if the weather is variable after you’ve put them out.

You can get Min/Max thermometers from Wilko's (and probably Amazon etc) which are brilliant because they show the current temp but also record what the highest and lowest have been. I use one in the poly-tunnel at school which gets much warmer than outside but is not at all insulated from the cold. Last week when I arrived it was 28 but the min was -1 and the max was 45 degrees! (Don't worry - there are no guinea-pigs in there ☺ ) If you're maths-minded plot out the temps as a graph - it's really interesting!

If you get something like this it will help you monitor the extremes of temp on hot/cold days and during the night.

Not all rescues advertise single females - it might be worth contacting a few and getting your name down in case somebody comes in. I got a lone female once from Pets at Home adoption centre... she'd been treated for something and had been in isolation in the back room so had not gone out with the rest of the batch. I just phoned up on spec and got lucky. She really hit it off with out neutered boar!

I actually messaged a place this that rescue and rehome guinea pigs so I'm hoping they'll have one or will be able to recommend some where. Thank you.. that thermometer sounds amazing.. I didn't even know they did ones like that!

Back