What Sort Of Tree Branches ( With Leaves ) Can Guinea Pigs Have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggies Galore

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thought it would be worth clarifying which branches are safe .

I heard somewhere that they can't have branches from trees of fruit with stones e.g. plum, cherry - is this right

Apple, pear and willow twigs are safe. Any part of any stone fruit tree should be avoided. The leaves off apple trees are high in calcium so only feed in small amounts, this is for crab apple leaves but I'm not sure about other types.

Yes, no branches and leaves of pitted fruits, because they may contain cyanogenic glycosides that are metabolized into hydrogen cyanide. Not all pitted fruit trees do, and there is a significant intra-species variance, but there's no way for you to know for sure.

Some apple trees also contain a similar compound, but it's rare and in significantly smaller quantities, so they are considered safe in the quantities a normal pig can consume. Same is valid for pear trees.

Willow tree branches contain salycilic acid (aspirine), so they should be fed in moderation, especially if the guinea pig is given some kind of a NSAID like meloxicam (metacam).

A great tree branch that few people give, but I've found to be great for pigs, is mulberry. Mulberries are one of the most phytolith-rich plants, so their leaves and branches would be perfect for wearing down teeth and keeping them in check. I've read that Australian piggy owners give lots of mulberries.

I do feed tree branches to my three, and I have to say they adore them.
They love playing with them as much as the eating part.
They like to run through them, lay under them, and generally snatch at them and bounce away - it is very fun to watch - I must try and make a video sometime.
For what it is worth I always hose down any branches before I feed them (they are all foraged in the wild) and leave them outside in the garden for an hour or two to let any creepy crawlies 'disembark'.
I also check them carefully for dead leaves, spiders webs, signs of disease, etc.

Some of our favorites are hazel (nuts removed) and apple.
Beech is also commonly fed in quite large quantities here, but I usually only give it once a month.
They have also had willow and birch, but again fairly rarely.
I use this list as a starting point, and then try to do my own research. I have a biology and chemistry based background which does help.
Guinea Pig food list

To be honest I think a lot of it comes down to a bit of common sense.
Avoid stuff that is toxic, sprayed, from the side of a road, etc.
If your pigs are active and fed a well balanced diet, then the overall % of their daily intake comprised of branches (when offered) is probably fairly minimal.

For example I gave them a hazel branch 3 days ago.
It is now dried and the leaves have withered, but they are still eating it, ripping the leaves off and stripping the bark.
They eat a bit, but the play and stimulation value is enormous.

IMG_4224.webp IMG_4214.webp

I read you can bake the branches just to destroy anything that might be harmful on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back