What size hutch do I need for 3 guinea pig?

Josie&Nutmeg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I currently have 2 guinea pigs and am thinking of rescuing another little pig! What size hutch do I need! Thank you for all your help!

Hello, do you have two girls?
If you have boars It’s not recommended to have three together as they will fight!
Three girls or 2 girls and a neutered boar need 6ftx2ft hutch. 😊

Is it easier to add a neutered boar to two girls or another girl? Just curious I'm considering adding another guinea also.

It all depends on character compatibility. A boar has to be accepted by both sows and he is ‘outside’ their hierarchy. A sow would also have to be accepted by both. However, the issue with trios is the possibility of an outsider situation developing.

If possible, take them to a rescue where they can pick their own friend. The good thing is you don’t mind if it’s a sow or boar.

My cage is only 2x6 without a loft so I don't think I could add another two although my two girls really only tolerate each other lol I wouldn't call them bonded

My cage is only 2x6 without a loft so I don't think I could add another two although my two girls really only tolerate each other lol I wouldn't call them bonded

A 6x2 is big enough for four piggies

Lofts don’t count towards the cage size anyway so it doesn’t matter whether you have one or not as the ground floor is the only part which counts

What do you mean they only tolerate each other?

They sleep separately, eat separately, play separately basically stay away from each other.

Back