What Size Cage?

• Thread starter Thread starter flm1977
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flm1977

My piggie is currently in a hutch outside, but every night when I take him in for a cuddle, I feel awful having to put him back outside in the cold again, I'm a sap :D
Anyways, if I were to get a cage for taking him indoors during the winter, what's the smallest size cage I could get which leaves him with plenty room at the same time.
If I got a piggie friend for him, how small a cage then?

Cause I'd then need to convince my hubby that we would have room somewhere in the house ;D

Would he get confused with moving from a hutch outside to an indoor cage?

Fay

For a pair you need to be looking at a minimum of a 4ft cage. I don't believe in keeping guinea pigs alone so I shan't comment on what size to keep him in alone as it's too sad to think you'd keep him that way ^-^

I would think you wouldn't want to put him in anything smaller than a 1M long cage if he's by himself and a 1.2m minimum if he finds himself a friend :) That link Wabid Tates posted is to a 1.4M cage which is a fantasitic size :) A lone boar really could use a friend especially if he is outside alone, and a pair of guineas is wonderful to watch when they interact. If you do decide to get him a friend there are lots of rescues full of GPs up and down the county and most should be happy to let you bring your boy in to choose a pal himself :smitten:

As Lucy says, 4ft is the minimum or a 140cm for the indoor cages for a pair.

Thank you :)
Well I don't have room for a 4ft cage in my house unfortunately :'( so I think I'm going to have to go down the route of hutch hugger things to keep him warm in the winter.
I will be getting him a friend! Just hard to decide what to do. Have been in touch with a local rescue centre who say to get him neutured and then after the 6 weeks recovery, to see if they have any girls.
I think I will speak to the vet on monday and ask what he thinks since there have been conflicting advice on the neutering or not if the case may be.

Personally I am all for neutering as its easier to pair them with a girlfriend or two ;)

:) Before you decide to put them outside have a look at Guinea Pig Cages you can make the cages fit the space you have and they're easy to build :) A Hutch Hugger won't keep out the damp which is what guineas suffer most from.

you only have to wait 3-4 weeks after neutering to slowly introduce a sow.

ok decided!
After researching the C&C cages and finding it hard to find the pieces, or being charged stupidly for delivery because I'm in Aberdeen, I'm going to go for this cage http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/guinea_pig_cages/14083 to bring John Anderson inside.

I do love the idea of building a cage but think this will be an easier option for now.

It's the same size as my table in my livingroom and if I made a C&C cage it would be this size anyway.

Also going to buy him some vetbed. Came home today and opened his hutch door to find him snuggled right under his fleece blanket :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back