• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

what should i do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

bob has been acting very strange all morning. i woke up as i could hear him making strange sounds, and he keeps doing funny things with his mouth, like stretching his mouth open, scratching inside it, and things like that. at one point he was frantically squirming about. i took him out and checked inside of his mouth and nothing seems to be any different.

hes not eaten much of his veggies today, and has spent most of the morning hiding in bed. what should i do?

should i leave him a bit longer and see if it continues? when he does leave his bed, he acts perfectly normal, apart from the wierd mouth things he does.

Hmmm I'm not sure, if he's not eating much it could be his mouth or teeth, there could be something wrong but you can't see it. Maybe the best option would be to get him to the vet?

I would take him too the vet piggies can have various probs with their teeth the vet should be able to look down the back of the throat too, to make sure there is nothing stuck etc hope he is feeling better soon!

Possible that he has spomething stuck in his back teeth. I would say to have a vet check to be on the safe side :)

Hi, just from my experience with Duke i'd say teeth but i'd get your little furbaby checked out pronto O0
I've found out since that often when they make those weird mouth open head movements (oh it's hard to describe) it's cause they've got their tongue stuck between their teeth cause they've over grown :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Anyways worth a check up for little Bob :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

thanks guys, I'm gona call the vets first thing tomorrow morning and see if they can fit him in, hes still doing it, but i found out that our vet closes early on saturdays so i couldnt get him in today :(

i found out what was wrong with him and I'm really not very happy at all.

a few days ago i switched their food, as i found a pet shop close by that sold weighed out guinea pig food, so i thought id try them on it, as with it being weighed out i could buy as much or little as i wanted.

turns out this food has bits of straw, and even some very small twigs in it, that i didnt notice, and one got lodged in bobs throat!

I'm not happy, and intend to go to the petshop i bought the food from and complain that they are selling food that is a hazard to piggies! needless to say as soon as i discovered what was wrong i removed all the food, and have switched straight back to my regular food!

Well I am glad you have found out what the problem was and that has been sorted!

thanks :) it was horrible to see, i could see this piece of twig sticking out of his throat into his mouth, no wonder he was distressed!

Oh poor little fella. I'm so glad it was something that could be cured straight away though. My first thought was "on no teeth".
Yes go to the pet shop and tell them. It could save a lot more piggies from this.

i definately intend on going to the pet shop, was going to go today but last night one of my friends had an accident so i been looking after them today. ive saved the food i bought, and am going to take it back, and tell them that the food is dangerous, and that they shouldnt be selling it to piggy owners, as other peoples poor piggies could have the same thing or worse happen to them. I'm just so happy that it didnt choke him, poor little guy :( ive been spoiling him as i feel bad for giving him the food

Aww... dont feel bad... you didnt know it would happen... glad he is okay now :)
I was going to suggest he had a grass seed or hair ball in his throat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back