What should I do with my boars

ashlin_vi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have 2 bonded boars, Einstein and Darwin. They don't fight and enjoy there new life since I rescued them about 6 months ago.

Yesterday I took in 4 piggies to foster. 2 sows and 2 boars all in separate en closures.

I have fallen in love with one of the boars. He has a bond with another male but his last owner told me they "tend to scuffle". I don't see an sings of marks so I'm not sure how often this happens.

My question are:
can I keep the boar I love?
Is It wrong to separate him from his buddy?
Is there any chance I could introduce him to my Einstein and Darwin?

I do have space to keep the boar pair but my husband isn't fully on board with giving up more space for them.

Ideally I'd like to move him in with my boys but I know it's risky and want opinions.
I know the introduction would be long but I feel confident I could make it work but want to know if it's worth it.

My second option is to keep both the boars but like I said my husband isn't the biggest fan of that idea and I'd have to pull some strings. Aka, get the man alot of burgers.

So I have 2 bonded boars, Einstein and Darwin. They don't fight and enjoy there new life since I rescued them about 6 months ago.

Yesterday I took in 4 piggies to foster. 2 sows and 2 boars all in separate en closures.

I have fallen in love with one of the boars. He has a bond with another male but his last owner told me they "tend to scuffle". I don't see an sings of marks so I'm not sure how often this happens.

My question are:
can I keep the boar I love?
Is It wrong to separate him from his buddy?
Is there any chance I could introduce him to my Einstein and Darwin?

I do have space to keep the boar pair but my husband isn't fully on board with giving up more space for them.

Ideally I'd like to move him in with my boys but I know it's risky and want opinions.
I know the introduction would be long but I feel confident I could make it work but want to know if it's worth it.

My second option is to keep both the boars but like I said my husband isn't the biggest fan of that idea and I'd have to pull some strings. Aka, get the man alot of burgers.

Hi and welcome

My advice: Pull strings and get going with your burgers.

Adding a third boar to an established couple is pretty much a recipe for failure (i.e. it has a very high failure rate until you get to older age and then it very much depends on the individual personalities). But it can also lead to the couple falling out when the stress and tension comes down between them. We have seen quite a few of those on here over the years. At thy worst you can end up with three singles instead of a trio.
You are much better off with two working pairs even if one of them has its scuffles.

Great that you are fostering but grappling with the well known FF (failed fosterer) syndrome by falling in love with fostered piggies is never easy. Pretty much every rescue fosterer is sooner or later falling in love with a piggy or a pair... You have may sympathy.

Perhaps after the burgers or during burgers explain to your husband that a pair wouldn't really take up that much more room than a single. Don't not risk your pair by introducing another I'm sure your husband will come around to the idea if he's OK with three it's only one more 😂

I also agree - get on with the burgers!

Separating the boars just to keep the one you like would be unfair on them both.
You would be highly unlikely to have any success in introducing him to Einstein and Darwin so he is being split from a friend just to live alone.
You would also put Einstein and Darwin’s bond at risk - you could end up with three single piggies. Plus as normal cage sizing goes out the window if you were to attempt a boar trio, it would mean you would be taking up more space with one cage for three boars than having two separate pairs would.

Oooo I’d try the burgers 🥰 as has been said if you kept the two new boars it isn’t really much more space needed and if youre feeding / cleaning out 3 then 4 makes no difference - it’s a lovely thing you’re doing fostering those piggies …..they just melt our hearts don’t they ❤️

Thank you everyone for your opinions. The burger negotiations have begun and the wonderful husband has agreed. And for all of your kind words and quick responses I just wanted to share some photos.

Bell and pepper, who are sows looking for the forever homes (pepper is so fast she's hard to get a picture of)

Dobey and derk (still workshopping derks name) are the ones I was supposed to foster but am now adopting. And dobbey is the cuddly baby who I almost immediately fell in love with.

And Darwin and Einstein who are my children that are currently being very vocal about wanting their night time salad.

Attachments

• Snapchat-775717037.webp
    Snapchat-775717037.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-895624357.webp
    Snapchat-895624357.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-690587660.webp
    Snapchat-690587660.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1112706078.webp
    Snapchat-1112706078.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1892598573.webp
    Snapchat-1892598573.webp
    75 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-730898907.webp
    Snapchat-730898907.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
Thank you everyone for your opinions. The burger negotiations have begun and the wonderful husband has agreed. And for all of your kind words and quick responses I just wanted to share some photos.

Bell and pepper, who are sows looking for the forever homes (pepper is so fast she's hard to get a picture of)

Dobey and derk (still workshopping derks name) are the ones I was supposed to foster but am now adopting. And dobbey is the cuddly baby who I almost immediately fell in love with.

And Darwin and Einstein who are my children that are currently being very vocal about wanting their night time salad.

Lovely piggies, all of them. Darwin and Einstein are obviously related since they are sharing the same white/buff/lemon agouti coat colouring.

But I can fully understand why you have fallen hard for Dobbey. He is a real stunner! Long/short-hair cross breeds are always unique and special. You have to see whether his fuzz is eventually growing out further or not several months in. :love:

All the best for your burger and husband pampering orgy. :D

What wonderful news 😍😍😍
They are all adorable guineas. Well done to you and your husband thanks for the update 👍

Hurrah for burgers 🍔

You could always call him McDonalds

Brilliant news and stunning piggies. 😍

Fantastic result and what lovely looking piggies ❤️
Can you come and work on my husband please?
My boars are recently separated and I want to see about getting them a new companion each but he says NO.....
And he doesn't eat burgers 🍔 😭 😂
He must have a soft spot for something…..

Back