What Sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicathepurplepanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Soon I'm gonna be able to get guinea pigs I was thinking around 3? what sex is best to get and if mixed sex is an option how risky is neutering?
Thanks x

Hi and welcome! Which country are you in? It will make quite a difference to which options are the best and safest for you! please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location to add your country, state (US/Aus) or general area (UK). That will help us greatly in giving you the appropriate information and recommendations straight away!

Trios are great if they work out, but unfortunately unless you get the character combination just right, they are more likely to end with an outsider problem of some sort than not. Baby boar trios have about a 90% fail rate during the first year before they reach a more settled adulthood. If you are really keen on a trio, I would recommend to date or rehome a neutered boar /2 bonded sows trio from a rescue that has both and can safely bond or date them for you so you can be sure that they get on well and complement each other.

Otherwise, I would strongly recommend to rather start with an already bonded pair of either sows or boars. You can get a separate pair of boys later (boars are best kept in pairs) or add/date a younger pair of sows to your own sow pair if you want to get more. That way, you neatly avoid any outsider problems.

Neutering is only recommended if you have a vet on hand that has a good track record in guinea pig neutering; otherwise the risk during the operation and especially of post op complications is much higher. Your neutered boy will also have to wait a full 6 weeks after the operation before he is 100% safe to go with sows. I have the surprise baby from a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post op boar, just to prove that it really can happen as late as that whatever a vet may tell you - and I have heard of several other cases since!

We have got a recommended good standard rescues locator as well as a piggy savvy vets locator on the top bar. It if it doesn't work for you, please contact the help desk. Good standard rescues are by far the safest place to get your new piggies from - their piggies are all healthy, well bonded and guaranteed not pregnant, unlike what you get from shops or most backyard breeders. Not all rescues have got neutered boars, though. We have listed those rescues we can vouch for you not to have any bad experiences.

Depending on where you are in the UK, you have all options open. I would ring up all your rescues within reach.
Cage/hutch sizes are a minimum of 2x4 ft/60x120cm for 2 sows, 2x5 ft/60x150cm for 3 piggies or 2 boars, 2x6 ft/60x180cm for 4 piggies (or the ground space equivalent of). Outside piggies are required to be provided with winter protection either in a garage or a sheltered place - please contact the particular rescue about their particular reuqirements,

Thanks I was defiantly not going to get them out of petsathome ...they are just awful :/ so I wont even consider getting them from a pets store ever, defiantly getting the guinea pigs from a local shelter :)
Also I'm probably getting a shed dedicated to the piggys which will be around 190 by 120cm and a run so they'll have plenty of space :) xx

It is always good to contact a rescue by phone; even if it may take you a bit patience, as all rescues are entirely volunteer-run. They often have piggies in recovery that may be available for rehoming soon in addition to those in the official adoption section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back