What noise do guinea pigs make when they are scared?

• Thread starter Thread starter guineafriend
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineafriend

My 2 boys are making a purring sound that another website said was a happy noise. But they are doing it when they are chasing each other around - I am still trying to findd out if they are fighting or playing. :-\

They were also doing it while they were being cleaned out for the first time yesterday hiding in a corner, they were certainly stressed and not happy! :'(

Anyone?

Are you sure it isnt a rumbling noise?

Do they ever do it when theyre walking around... and sway their hips side to side?

This is dominance... its also the 'mating dance' i think... so a male will do it to a female... mine do it all the time ;D

males also do it to other males..lol my two are going through a stage with it atm they wind each other up with rumbling then go for each other, i feel more sorry for duke shakey always tried to romp with his head ;D

I think they can make a kind of cooing/purring noise when they are happy and being stroked, my 2 boys chatter and chirp to each other constantly and they chase each other round the conservatory... they do niggle at each other a bit but no biting, and sometimes Tiger will make a rumbling noise and wag his butt like Baby Wilson said - this is an agressive noise, but if its just chirping / chimp noises then I think they are happily chatting to each other.

It sounds like your 2 are just being chatty..

Mine make a purring noise if they are stroked and like it, but they also make this sort of noise (which I would describe more as a rumble but I think it's a similar sound) when they are trying to be dominant. Also find they make this noise if they hear something they don't like....eg. if I pick up my keys or I cough they make this noise to signal they don't like what they just heard!

Normally you just have to watch their behaviour and learn your piggy! Every one of them is different and so is every situation. A scared sound could be a rumble or a loud squeak,usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back