• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What is wrong with Shaffy?

Wheeksqueeksquad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So for about 2 weeks shaffy has not been eating by himself. He looks lifeless and just lays in one spot the whole day. We went to see a vet and started syringe feeding. They thought it was his teeth so we scheduled an appointment. Then in the weekend he started peeing blood. We could not get to a vet because it was weekend and we have no car. On Monday we went to the vet again and she gave us antibiotics because it could be bladder infection and not his teeth. During this time shaffy lost about 400g. He is so skinny. We keep feeding him and with the antibiotics, after 3 days the blood stopped. But he still does not move. Now it's weekend again and we have been feeding him as usual. But now his breathing is weird. He makes a wheezing, cracking noise and coughs when we feed him. It gets louder and syncs with his breaths. I don't know what to do or what all the could be. Was it not his bladder? Kidneys? Please give us some advice. We are at a loss as it's been like this for two weeks.

I’m afraid we can’t give you an idea of what it might be as there seems to be quite a lot of symptoms, but now his breathing is crackling he needs to be seen by the vet asap.
Breathing issues is never something which can be left.
Is there anyone who can get him to a vet with/for you?
Do you have any vets available on a weekend?

When feeding him, is he swallowing before you offer him more?

Please make sure you are weighing him every morning as that amount of weight loss is very concerning.

How much recovery feed are you syringe feeding him each day?
You need to feed a minimum of 40ml as that is minimum amount to keep them alive but he may need more than that to stop his weight loss. He will not regain any lost weight at this point, it is simply about stopping him from losing anymore and stabilising him.

Was he given any painkillers at all?
Is he pooping?

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide

So for about 2 weeks shaffy has not been eating by himself. He looks lifeless and just lays in one spot the whole day. We went to see a vet and started syringe feeding. They thought it was his teeth so we scheduled an appointment. Then in the weekend he started peeing blood. We could not get to a vet because it was weekend and we have no car. On Monday we went to the vet again and she gave us antibiotics because it could be bladder infection and not his teeth. During this time shaffy lost about 400g. He is so skinny. We keep feeding him and with the antibiotics, after 3 days the blood stopped. But he still does not move. Now it's weekend again and we have been feeding him as usual. But now his breathing is weird. He makes a wheezing, cracking noise and coughs when we feed him. It gets louder and syncs with his breaths. I don't know what to do or what all the could be. Was it not his bladder? Kidneys? Please give us some advice. We are at a loss as it's been like this for two weeks.

Hi and welcome

Has it been hot just before or while he fell ill? In this case you could be dealing with the aftermath of a heat stroke.
Has your vet checked for partial GI stasis and is the heart OK?
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

The urinary tract infection (the red pees are not blood but a natural dye called porphyrin) ma be secondary.
Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

Are you support feeding and watering?

I’m afraid we can’t give you an idea of what it might be as there seems to be quite a lot of symptoms, but now his breathing is crackling he needs to be seen by the vet asap.
Breathing issues is never something which can be left.
Is there anyone who can get him to a vet with/for you?
Do you have any vets available on a weekend?

When feeding him, is he swallowing before you offer him more?

Please make sure you are weighing him every morning as that amount of weight loss is very concerning.

How much recovery feed are you syringe feeding him each day?
You need to feed a minimum of 40ml as that is minimum amount to keep them alive but he may need more than that to stop his weight loss. He will not regain any lost weight at this point, it is simply about stopping him from losing anymore and stabilising him.

Was he given any painkillers at all?
Is he pooping?

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
Hi! Thanks for your response. We give him at least 40 everyday. Today he has not pooped. He has painkillers for 2 weeks now. I called about 6 vets but they are all not available except one and she said a consult is gonna be around 300 and I'm not sure how to afford that right now :( And it's about a 2 hour drive. I did make the appointment but I have no actual clue how We are gonna do this

Update the vet gave us new medication and 2 days for him to get better. It was so expensive :( But yeah, she did not really know and she said it just feel like his body has alot of issues on top of each other. Today he's laying on my lap, totally lost all his power. I will cuddle him the whole day. That's all we can really do

I'm so sorry to hear Shaffy is so poorly. I truly hope he gets better, at least he is on pain relief so won't be in any pain. He will be comforted by you being there with him I'm sure ❤️

Update: Shaffy got worse yesterday. He started twitching and breathing loudly so we knew it was time. We wrapped him in a blanket and cuddled him until he passed away cuddling in my hands. I noticed that he was fighting and really did not want to go but his body just gave out. That hurts me the most. We were there every step on the way. He's in a better place now :( We are very sad. He was my heart animal. Very special. Sad that we will never know what was wrong. Thanks for all the responses.

Update: Shaffy got worse yesterday. He started twitching and breathing loudly so we knew it was time. We wrapped him in a blanket and cuddled him until he passed away cuddling in my hands. I noticed that he was fighting and really did not want to go but his body just gave out. That hurts me the most. We were there every step on the way. He's in a better place now :( We are very sad. He was my heart animal. Very special. Sad that we will never know what was wrong. Thanks for all the responses.

BIG HUGS

It is always so frustrating when your best efforts can't get a beloved one the help and the knoweldge they need. Guinea pigs are still lagging badly behind other pets in terms of research and they are additionally hampered by being classed as exotics where they fall into the gap of not featuring much on a general vet's curriculum and being too pedestrian for the real exotics buffs. A piggy savvy vet is worth their weight in gold... but even they often come to their limits. The more we push the horizon, the more nastier and weirder things appear. But it is soo hard for you as a loving owner and also very frustrating for the vets who want to help and heal.
:(

You haven't failed Shaffy; it was just not to be. As an owner you have done everything you could.

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

So sorry for your loss. 😢 RIP Shaffy. 💔🌈

I'm so sorry, RIP Shaffy 🌈❤️

When a guinea pig passes away, they are often unconscious before the movements of the body like twitching begin. Shaffy would have been unaware of this and already asleep ❤️

Thanks for all the sweet responses. You guys give me some comfort. Our other girl is alone and seems very sad. Even though it's a little hard for me and I'm not quite ready, I don't want her to be depressed so I'm gonna see another piggy tomorrow to give her a friend as fast as I can. Thanks again everyone

BIG HUGS

It is always so frustrating when your best efforts can't get a beloved one the help and the knoweldge they need. Guinea pigs are still lagging badly behind other pets in terms of research and they are additionally hampered by being classed as exotics where they fall into the gap of not featuring much on a general vet's curriculum and being too pedestrian for the real exotics buffs. A piggy savvy vet is worth their weight in gold... but even they often come to their limits. The more we push the horizon, the more nastier and weirder things appear. But it is soo hard for you as a loving owner and also very frustrating for the vets who want to help and heal.
:(

You haven't failed Shaffy; it was just not to be. As an owner you have done everything you could.

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
I hope in the future vets get to know more for all our piggies who need help. Thank you❤️

I’m so sorry for your loss. Popcorn high over the bridge Shaffy. ❤️

Be kind to yourself. You've done everything you can for beautiful Shaffy. He knows that too for sure. Rest in peace little one🧡

I hope in the future vets get to know more for all our piggies who need help. Thank you❤️
All veterinary knowledge has come by pushing the boat out and by trying thing; especially when it comes to piggies. I have consented to trying then new and experimental meds with my piggies a few times, just to help establish them and to save other lives down the line.
It is an ongoing, cumbersome process but when I joined this forum, Cushings in guinea pigs wasn't even on the horizon, never mind anybody having the faintest idea what a normal adrenaline output in guinea pigs was. And that is just about 15 years back. :(

Going back half a century with my childhood piggies, you cannot imagine just how much veterinary medication has picked up in terms of diagnostics and medications. And how few meds are actually still officially licensed in terms of guinea pigs. Often not even the best. :(

Back