What is this sound?

drlw

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our guinea pigs make this sound whenever they’re being held, and not at any other time. Is it a happy or sad sound? Are they relaxed or stressed? Many thanks.

Sorry, I tried to attach a video but it wouldn’t allow me. It’s a very quiet squeaky sound, almost like a wheel that needs piling.

Welcome to the forum

You will need to upload any video to YouTube first and then post a link to it here. We cannot host video directly on the forum

Hiya, welcome to the forum.
Your guinea pig is very cute :)
Unfortunately I think that's the sound piggies make when they're uncomfortable with what you're doing. Contrary to popular opinion, guinea pigs aren't very cuddly pets (they're prey animals and often find this quite scary).
There are loads of really useful guides on the forum which help you understand the world from a guinea pig perspective, making it easier for you to build up a bond with them. :D
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

Thanks, that‘s very helpful to know! Though I was hoping for a different answer :( Thanks for the guides and I hope they’ll settle and be happier with me soon…

How long have you had your piggies?
In this video, did you have them both out together?

We’ve had them for about 5 weeks. They’re rescue piggies, a pair of sisters about 6 months old. We do have a bit of cuddle time once a day, and thought they looked comfortable but they do frequently make this noise. In this video she was just out on her own.

Hi!
Yes, she sounds a little annoyed with being petted, BUT the good thing is that she trusts you enough to let you know how she feels. At least she's not frozen in fear. Don't feel bad, it's just their normal instinct, imagine how you would feel if a strange giant held you. Maybe giving her something to munch on would make the experience less scary and more interesting for her. She's very cute ❤️

If you’re taking them out I would take them out together and maybe have them in a cuddle cup (or something similar) next to you. One of my girls didn’t like being held while the other loved it. So I would take them out together, cuddle one and have the other in a cat bed next to me.

Those are great tips, thank you so much!

Back