• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

what is it ?

• Thread starter Thread starter emma2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emma2009

hi

my guinea pig fudge has really dry flakey skin (looks like dandruff) all over her back and she gets annoyed if you touch her near it

shes also scrathing alot but shes still eating and drinking fine i tryed johnstons lice and mites shampoo but didnt make any diffrence flakes are still there and I'm really worried about her :'( and i hate seeing her like this

I'm now using a fungal spray so going to wait and see if this works anyone got ideas to what it is and any good products you can buy in shops (cant buy off the internet )

let me know please

emma

Sounds like mites to me love :o
Can you get to the vets to get it checked out?
Have a little check on here and do a search there's heaps of info on what to do with mites etc....
poor little piggie sending healing wheeks :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I would say mites too, I had this with my Sheltie, I would take her to the vets for proper treatment. :)

I agree with glynis it sounds like mites and the vets really is your best option the sprays you are using may inflame the area so dont waste the cash on them and go to your vets asap and maybe try gourgeous guineas products they will help the irritation. I hope she will be ok O0

i just read on peter gurney's website and it sounds like she has a fungal infection as everything he describes is what she has and he gives an oil treatment you can buy yourself and it sounds really good

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/index.html

under skin problems what do you think ?

His advice is fantastic and yes you can do the different treatments, just think you need to have the piggie looked at to make sure that it's diagnosed properly :)
Tell you what can you post a piccie of your piggie then the lovely people on here can help even more O0

thnaks glynis I'm going to try his oils treatment for fungal infections as my vets on holidays for 2 weeks
il try and get a picture up soon

thanks for all your help everyone :smitten:

Does your vet have a relief vet standing in for him?

Mites are extrodinarily painful as they live under the skin, and can in fact kill your piggie. 99% of skin issues are mites, and even if fungal is an issue here, mites will tend to take over as your piggie is stressed from the effect of a fungal skin infection.

If it is either of these conditions, early treatment is of the essence to get on top of it, or it may be a very hard chronic thing to treat. I highly recommend you take piggie to the vet.

Flaky skin probably means fungal but there could be mites too. For good advice contact [email protected] or visit Gorgeous Guineas

Contact them straight away as they will not be answering emails from Wednesday for a short break (2 day). You should also visit the vet for Ivomec on day 1 and 10.

When I got Cuzzy he had mites and it was dandruff looking, I would still take to the vet, books aren't conclusive proof that you've solved the problem. O0

Yes look at the gorgeous guineas website, there is a list of symptoms for mites and fungal so you can tell the difference. Also, if you email a pic to Chrissy, she can tell you what it is.

Some of Chrissies shampoos aare based on Peters oil treatments and they are really good.

ive just order two shampoos of chrissie today so cnt wait 4 them to come il let yo all know how fude gts on

thanks 4 all your advise

emma :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back