What Is It? Dandruff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I have just noticed "dandruff" like white dots on Coconut's ginger coloured bum. It looks like dandruff but I'm not sure if piggies can even get dandruff. If it isn't, do you have any idea what it could be? I tried to get a picture but the dots were too small. So...help please?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2 of my pigs appeared to have dandruff and because they were constantly scratching, I treated them for mites with invermectin.Does your pig scratch a lot or is any of their fur coming out especially on their back legs?It could just be dandruff but I'm not sure if they can get that.Hopefully someone else can give you some better advice

2 of my pigs appeared to have dandruff and because they were constantly scratching, I treated them for mites with invermectin.Does your pig scratch a lot or is any of their fur coming out especially on their back legs?It could just be dandruff but I'm not sure if they can get that.Hopefully someone else can give you some better advice
Thank you so much for your help :)
I haven't noticed Coconut scratching a lot, or at least not more than usual. Hazelnut (my other piggy) scratches the same amount but I don't see any "dandruff" on her. None of their fur is coming out, besides the fact that they're shedding right now.

Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites It could be lice, and if your piggy is not showing any irritation then it's most likely the harmless kind.
These look like dust on the fur.
Actual dandruff often looks like out dandruff, and some pigs are prone to it without anything being wrong. Teddies are a breed that are especially prone to this.
Little flaks though can also be a sign of the emergence of skin mites or a fungal infection, both of which need prompt vet treatment (but are easily cleared when caught early).
Beware - some fungal infections can be contagious to humans.

A photo would be good, but if you have any doubts, or if your piggy develops irritation, please see a vet :) x

Can you post a picture ?

I'll try, although it may not show up on camera as the dots are very tiny.

Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites It could be lice, and if your piggy is not showing any irritation then it's most likely the harmless kind.
These look like dust on the fur.
Actual dandruff often looks like out dandruff, and some pigs are prone to it without anything being wrong. Teddies are a breed that are especially prone to this.
Little flaks though can also be a sign of the emergence of skin mites or a fungal infection, both of which need prompt vet treatment (but are easily cleared when caught early).
Beware - some fungal infections can be contagious to humans.

A photo would be good, but if you have any doubts, or if your piggy develops irritation, please see a vet :) x
Thank you so much! :)

@Critter @PiggyOwner
I got a picture, the more I looked, the dots looked more like dandruff and not really dots. I couldn't find any along the base of Coconut's hairs, only when I stroked her a few showed up. She's not showing any discomfort or anything similar. Here is a picture, you may have to look a little closer to see. I would have taken a closer picture but my camera just wouldn't focus! Sorry about that.
image.webp

That looks like flakes of skin to me :) If so I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on it to see if the dandruff becomes abundant or if she shows irritation :) It doesn't look like it did when mine had lice - that looked like a sprinkling of fine dust half way up each hair shaft. Yours looks like skin flakes :) x

I am thinking dry skin too. Fungal and mange mites need to be ruled out though.

Does the hair seem broken half way down the shaft at all? any bald spots? if you brush the hair the wrong way does it fall nicely back into place? or does it seem to stay upright?

I am thinking dry skin too. Fungal and mange mites need to be ruled out though.

Does the hair seem broken half way down the shaft at all? any bald spots? if you brush the hair the wrong way does it fall nicely back into place? or does it seem to stay upright?
Nope, the hair isn't broken at all. I can't find any bald spots either. It's nice and smooth, and when I brush it upwards it just falls back in place. Thank you so much for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back