What is bonding?

Kbar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Title says it all…I understand the definition of the word but not in its direct relation to guinea pigs… can some one please clear this up for me?

The very simplified version is that they won't live with a pig they don't like. I only have experience with boars. I got a pair of young ones and when puberty kicked in Tim Nice But Dim became a monster who mercilessly bullied Dignified Sir George. This escalated to the point at which Tim (now) Nasty But Dim attacked poor Sir George. We tried separation but even though the bars he was relentless. He got neutered, which doesn't change their behaviour but often they chill out when living with females, and rehomed and is now a happy husboar. We were very lucky that we found a younger single boy who needed a home and Dignified Sir George is now a very happy and gentle dominant to Mischievous Master Boris. Right from the start they interacted in a way that I had never seen with the original pairing.
Dignified Sir George IMG20231124005708.webp Mischievous Master Boris IMG_20231030_204612.webp

Hi and welcome

Guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live on their own. However, they are also much more complex personalities with a much more complex social life than most owners assume.

It is not as easy as just sticking two piggies together and expecting them to get on; mutual liking and a personality match are never a given but any lasting partnership will come down to that - and that is something you can never make them do and have a happy pair or group.

The bonding process describes the way in which you introduce two piggies and watch how they get on; the whole process usually takes over two weeks until a successful hierarchical group is full established in their new territory. Any changes to the personnel or the territory will trigger a new group establishment process; that also goes for temporary separations.

Some owners also describe developing a good relationship with their pets as bonding.

You may also find these links here interesting in order to understand more where guinea pigs come from:
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

Companionship

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

If you want to get more information about your interaction with your guinea pigs, then you may find the following links helpful. They take the guinea pig perspective and not just the human perspective into account:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

I hope that this helps you?

Thank you for the replies. As stated in my introductory post, all three of my piggies were crammed into a small cage. When we put them all in a larger cage they all became aggressive with each other. So we put them in three separate cages. They are still near each other. (We live in a teeny tiny little apartment) but but when we put them in our much larger play pen they get along just fine. I chocked it up to the cages just being so small and confining. I plan on building them a much larger cage that will hopefully be large enough for all three, and hopefully within the next 30 days we Will have a home large enough to do it.

Thank you for the replies. As stated in my introductory post, all three of my piggies were crammed into a small cage. When we put them all in a larger cage they all became aggressive with each other. So we put them in three separate cages. They are still near each other. (We live in a teeny tiny little apartment) but but when we put them in our much larger play pen they get along just fine. I chocked it up to the cages just being so small and confining. I plan on building them a much larger cage that will hopefully be large enough for all three, and hopefully within the next 30 days we Will have a home large enough to do it.

Are your piggies all female?

If they are male, then keeping three of them together usually does not work. Boars are best kept in pairs

Hi

What you are seeing is the normal reaction to being crammed together willy-nilly and no way of getting out of the way and remove themselves from the premises, as would be the normal thing to do for the loser of a dispute. :(

They may prefer to each having the luxury their own little territory but still be able to share roaming time and space. Do you have sows or boars? Group dynamics differ between the two genders.

PS: My Carwyn 'Blessed Love' (RIP 2018) spent the first 3 years of his life in a one foot square breeder box before he was rescued. He didn't know hoe to run and could express any joy only by climbing on their comrade. I adopted him with a disfigured lip resulting from a bite from his brother, which did give him a special appeal; the two brother were unable to get on once rescued.
Carwyn was neutered at the rescue and then had another 3 1/2 very happy years with his own little harem, especially his baby wifelet Heini 'Lively' who shared a life-long love affair with him. It was she who taught him to run and to do all the things he had missed out on. He was such a lovely-natured, vocal boar who had a romp through the rest of his life, making up for not just himself but also his dad and two brothers who sadly all died not long after being rescued.
You can find a little video of him in the enrichment guide.
1704724412372.jpeg

I have used a child’s paddling pool with towels in the bottom and hay whenever I’ve bonded.
The forum guide is a real sanity saver.
It really can take time for a bond to settle down.
Hope all goes well for you.

Back